The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Shift Restrictions

Are there any restrictions as to who may legally shift?

At our association meeting last night, it was stated that if the tight end is covered up, he is restricted from shifting off the line until the wide out who is covering him first shifts off the line. To do otherwise would be a false start. I pointed out that this was only true if the covered up tight end has placed a hand on the ground. An argument ensued and I was asked to find the rule coverage that backed me up. Of course I couldn't because there is no restriction on who may shift. I used the example of the swinging gate, in which most of the linemen shift. The initial response was that this was legal because the linemen weren't "set". When I didn't buy that one, the response was that the swinging gate was legal because the snapper wasn't over the ball yet. Where do they get this stuff? This is from an experienced official.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley

At our association meeting last night, it was stated that if the tight end is covered up, he is restricted from shifting off the line until the wide out who is covering him first shifts off the line. To do otherwise would be a false start. I pointed out that this was only true if the covered up tight end has placed a hand on the ground. An argument ensued and I was asked to find the rule coverage that backed me up. Of course I couldn't because there is no restriction on who may shift. I used the example of the swinging gate, in which most of the linemen shift. The initial response was that this was legal because the linemen weren't "set". When I didn't buy that one, the response was that the swinging gate was legal because the snapper wasn't over the ball yet. Where do they get this stuff? This is from an experienced official.
Well, this is my guess on this one.

A "set" lineman in a two point stance(which is essentially what this cover tight end is) I'd say he couldn't shift to become a back. What's the difference between him getting to move to become a back and him rocking back slightly preparing to pass block? If you are a set lineman you can't move in my recollection of my playing days. I'll get on again tonight with books and see if I can back any of my babbling up with actual rules. (LOL hey imagine that...Maybe I should think of doing that before babbling on post like this)
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley

REPLY: You're right, of course Smiley. The rule book rarely if ever tells what a player may do. It usually only tells us what a player may not do. BTW...how is officiating in TN compared to what you had experienced in SC? ...apart of course from the "experienced official" who doesn't seem to understand the offensive line requirements re: shifting.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Here is your answer in 7-1-7...

After the ball is ready for play and before the snap begins, no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if:
a. A shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.
b. Any act is clearly intended to cause B to encroach.
c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his hand(s) or makes any quick movement.

So since the "covered" lineman does not have a hand near the ground, he may shift so long as it doesn't simulate action at the snap. You were exactly right.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Here is your answer in 7-1-7...

After the ball is ready for play and before the snap begins, no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if:
a. A shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.
b. Any act is clearly intended to cause B to encroach.
c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his hand(s) or makes any quick movement.

So since the "covered" lineman does not have a hand near the ground, he may shift so long as it doesn't simulate action at the snap. You were exactly right.
I stand corrected. In my previous post I mentioned the rocking back to pass block and that is covered with "a shift...simulates action at the snap." But for him to just realize that he's not suppose to be on the line and back up to be a back I guess is ok. Makes sense.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

He does not have his hand on or near the ground, so he may definitely shift. To the R who said the center is not over the ball on the swinging gate when all the linemen are over to the side, "what the puke has he been looking at?" I'd like to know what he thinks the center is doing then, and how they may use the gate on a fake if he is not over the ball. What is he thinking?