The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hoping some of you vets can help me out. My umpire is having trouble getting the ball down anywhere near the correct spot, wondering if anyone knows any helpful hints or suggestions I can give him. I feel like he isn't trying to use the yard line markers to help him. For instance, sometimes I as wing will have a spot with my foot just over a yard line and he will miss that by a half yard. It's pretty embarrasing when a team loses a yard and a half on an incomplete pass. I want to be tactful but really want to help him be more consistent. Thanks.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I've had the same problem from time to time. If your ump is agreeable to it, tell him to watch your hands. If you want him to move the ball to your left, tap your left thigh with your left hand. Signal the down with your right. Vice Versa if you want ump to move the ball to your right. Better yet, if the ump will help, have him move his foot to the right or left on your signal, then put the ball down at his foot.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Tell him to "mirror" the wings!

As the umpire in a 5, 6, or 7 man crew I have the benefit of the back judge, etc. to relay the ball into me. What I do is dead ball officiate after each play, then get to the spot of forward progress and "mirror" the feet of the wing official. What I mean is that I line up my downfield foot at the same dead-ball spot that the wing official has (or the box if its an incomplete pass). If the field is correctly marked then I have at least two hash-marks to help me line-up. Also, if the run ends in a side-zone and we have ball-boys on the sidelines, we use the "first ball down, second ball in" technique. Having the back judge and the referee help relay the ball in allows me to get my feet lined up first with the wing official, then when I catch the ball I simply have to bend over and place it at my feet. My feet are already lined up with the ball and wing's feet in the side zone. We train the ball boys to wait until I put my ball down before they remove the other ball.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Hoping some of you vets can help me out. My umpire is having trouble getting the ball down anywhere near the correct spot, wondering if anyone knows any helpful hints or suggestions I can give him. I feel like he isn't trying to use the yard line markers to help him. For instance, sometimes I as wing will have a spot with my foot just over a yard line and he will miss that by a half yard. It's pretty embarrasing when a team loses a yard and a half on an incomplete pass. I want to be tactful but really want to help him be more consistent. Thanks.
I had an umpire last year that kept missing the spot. One of my wingmen pointed out his knees were bad; therefore, he had the correct spot when he looked at the wingman but knelt over such that he would miss the spot.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Try having your umpire face the wing official. Line up his body with the wing. If the field is lined at all he should be very close this way. The wing can then use the leg tap to move him one way or the other. He should not spot the ball until this is done. If this fails, have the wing move in to the hash to help the spot. Make sure your U isn't facing the goal line and placing the ball in front of him. Your perspective is off this way.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland I had an umpire last year that kept missing the spot. One of my wingmen pointed out his knees were bad; therefore, he had the correct spot when he looked at the wingman but knelt over such that he would miss the spot. [/B]
IF his knees are that bad, how can he keep up with - and out of - the play, unless its Pop Warner?

One of my beefs is out-of-shape officials, by the way.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Face your butt east and west...

Good point Steve! Some guys tell me to face north and south when placing the ball. But for me I can't always get an accurate spot this way. East and west (towards the sideline is definitely better! Some friends of mine told me they don't want to look at my butt but I say "Too bad!".