The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Friday nite we had an unconsious player, given our evaluation and that of a doctor's. We informed the coach that the player (QB) could not return unless we rec'd a sign letter from a doctor indicating he was able to re- enter the game. The visiting team did not have a doctor at the game and the head coach immediately questioned our decision. The home teams doctor told the visiting coach in fairly certain terms that he was not going to put himself in the position of making a quick evaluation of the player and risk the players safety.

Unfortunately, later in the game (within the same period) the unconscious player returned on defense without any notification to the officials or a note. Prior to the snap but after the ready for play our alert umpire notice the player and immediately blew the play dead. After we removed the player and informed the coach, we dropped the flag and decided that we would penalize it as an unsportsmanlike on the coach.

We've talked about it at our meeting last nite, but the discussion was split between illegal particiaption and unsportsmanlike. Has anyone every run into this before?

We felt it was unsportsmanlike due to the coaches complete disregard for our discussion at the time the player was removed.
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I say you had it right with the USC. Before the game the coach would have to declare any casts and/or medical problems for approval. These must be accompanied by a note from a Dr. The same applies for the course of the game. It was the coach's decision to put the player back into the game therefore the penalty should be charged to him. You should also report this incident to your state HS assoc. and the coach's AD. This is dealing with the safety of a player which as we know is paramount above all else. I would never let my son play for this coach.
Also, great job by the U spotting this player!
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think you got ti right with the USC as well. In fact, if I'm the R, the foul is flagrant and the coach and player are history.
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Because the alert umpire killed the play before the disqualified player actually participated, unsportmanlike was the correct dead-ball foul. Illegal participation is a live-ball foul.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by insatty
Because the alert umpire killed the play before the disqualified player actually participated, unsportmanlike was the correct dead-ball foul. Illegal participation is a live-ball foul.
Good job by an alert umpire. Think, what if that player on the next play sustained further injury?

The USC was correct. Rule 3-5-10b is emphatic, player does not return without the written permission of a doctor. And Rules 9-8-1b/c/d, take your choice, my choice is d, indicating an objection to an official's decision.

BTW doctor's notes are precious. I keep them for about five years just in case problems arise in the future.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

That coach and player should have been ejected for flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct. The referee should have written a letter explaining the situation, and sent copies to the school AD, the principlal, the Instructional Chairman of his association, and to the Child Welfare Department of that county. That coach should be charged with child endangerment.

And, by the way, where were the player's parents?

bob
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hansman

Unfortunately, later in the game (within the same period) the unconscious player returned on defense without any notification to the officials or a note. Prior to the snap but after the ready for play our alert umpire notice the player and immediately blew the play dead. After we removed the player and informed the coach, we dropped the flag and decided that we would penalize it as an unsportsmanlike on the coach.
I'd be inclined to simply give the coach a free trip to the showers. That's an insane, blatant disregard for player safety, as well as a complete failure to respect the rules of the game. Unsportsmanlike and ejection.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

That's an umpire who's on top of things. Good call.