The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Stokley ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/football/56111-stokley-ejection.html)

Adam Sun Dec 27, 2009 07:43pm

Stokley ejection

During the Denver game today, Stokley was ejected for contacting an official while arguing about what he thought should have been a pass interference call. Personally, as a Bronco fan, I thought it was a good flag. My question is, is the ejection automatic with any sort of contact?

The contact was, essentially, on the BJ's outstretched fingers as Stokley threw his arms in frustration while he turned to walk away. Personally, I think the ejection was good even if some discretion is allowed in this case, but i was just wondering if the NFL views this as judgment free.

HLin NC Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:06pm

Intentionally contacting an official is an ejection under all codes, I believe. He'll get a fine on Tuesday also. My only question would be was it intentional?

johnSandlin Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:16pm

Based on the replay, I do not think there was anything but intent on Stokely's part. I will also not be surprised if the league does suspend Stokely for the next week's game.

UmpireErnie Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:21pm

The player is already pushing the acceptable behavior envelope by arguing the call so demonstratively. Making contact with the official in this context I believe goes over the line, regardless of whether or not it was intentional. The onus was on the player to control his actions.

The ejection is a good call IMO.

TXMike Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:29pm

I seem to recall an incident earlier in the year when a player did something similar amd was not ejected but the League essentially chastised the crew for not booting him

Rich Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:42pm

You runs that far to yell and gesture at an official and you takes your chances. Just sayin'.

Sonofanump Sun Dec 27, 2009 09:13pm

Looks intentional to me.

YouTube - Brandon Stokley Ejected For slapping Ref .. Broncos vs. Eagles

jaybird Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump (Post 646271)
Looks intentional to me.

Agreed. Good decision on the part of the official for USC and DQ.

bossman72 Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:20pm

Stokely running 30 yds to argue with me would draw a flag immediately from me (even before he said a word). How about you?

TXMike Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:23pm

This is not baseball, softball, or basketball. No flag for that.

mv7267 Mon Dec 28, 2009 05:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 646290)
Stokely running 30 yds to argue with me would draw a flag immediately from me (even before he said a word). How about you?

Agreed. Coulda, shoulda been 2 USCs for 30 yards. I've never seen that in the NFL however.

grunewar Mon Dec 28, 2009 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike (Post 646292)

Most every game you can see a player or coach vent their frustration at what they believe to be a bad call - you see them leap into the air, jump up and down, pound the ground, throw their hands in the air in exasperation, wag their fingers, etc. and NOTHING happens in the way of a penalty as they are far enough from an official that it is “ignored.”

To intentionally go toward and official and do it that close – you get what you earned.

Sonofanump Mon Dec 28, 2009 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 646290)

NFHS- Absolutely
NCAA- Most likely
NFL- Maybe not

Rich Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike (Post 646292)

Maybe not in the NFL. On Friday nights, though, absolutely.

missingnumber7 Mon Dec 28, 2009 03:40pm

It baffles me as to how contact with an official such at this, which we can all argue weather it was intentional or not, deems immediate ejection. However actions in the past few weeks in the NFC East Primtime games between the Giants/Eagles and Giants/Redskins where there were fights and only 1 ejection and 0 suspensions. I agree 100% that Stokely diserved the USC flag, weather or not the call was missed on the holding/PI on the play prior.