The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

carryover penalties

I appreciate the wisdom and dialogue that comes with the dicussions here. Getting into playoffs and don't want to make a mistake in a critical situation (or any sit. for that matter) .
Wondering if any of you have a very simple straighforward way of remembering what penalties carry over and which ones dont (including into and in OT). I used to have this down cold, but since the change I feel a bit unsettled...
the Redding book spells it out, but its a little garbled and wordy at times to keep it simple enough for my little brain.

Thanks!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

There's really no EASY way to remember it, but in general, if the opponent of the scoring team commits a foul, it may be enforced on the subsequent kickoff (only if there IS a subsequent kickoff - this applies to the end of regulation), as long as it occurred after the last change of possession (if there was one).
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Also remember that the choice to carryover into OT only exists when OT is CERTAIN.

Consider the following: Team A is down 7 points. During the last timed down of the fourth quarter, A1 runs for a touchdown. During the run, B1 grabbed A1s facemask. Team A can choose to enforce the penalty on the try, but not the opening series in OT. Why? Because if team A fails to convert the try or scores 2 points on the try, the game is ended.

Here is another situation. Team A is down by 3, as time expires, A1 kicks a field goal. Team B then roughs A1. Since time is out, team A can choose to replay the down after enforcement of the penalty, or they can enforce the foul on the opening series of OT.

Have fun!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Touchdown: live ball foul against the opponents of the scoring team, or a dead ball foul against either team before the RFP, penalty may be accepted from the suceeding spot (PAT) or the kickoff (No kickoffs in overtime, no enforcement option)

FG: live ball foul against the opponents of the scoring team may always be enforced at the succeeding spot (kickoff or 1st series of OT)

PAT: live ball foul against the opponents of the scoring team may always be enforced at the succeeding spot (kickoff or 1st series of OT)

Dead ball fouls may always be enforced at the succeeding spot.

So Roughing the Passer (and any other live ball foul) on a TD scoring play may never carry over to OT, but Roughing on the PAT may carry over.

Dead ball USC on a TD play during the last timed down, may be only enforced succeeding spot (PAT), but a Dead ball USC on a PAT after time has expired, may be enforced suceeding spot (OT).
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, that kind of what makes sense to me as I think it through...best wishes to all of you.

One of the keys in my mind is what you said Norcal: "Also remember that the choice to carryover into OT only exists when OT is CERTAIN."

good summary Rev!
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, I believe we screwed up an enforcement about three weeks ago.
>
We had a team score and after the touchdown the scoring player threw the ball over the fence and into fans. A dead ball penalty was called and the team elected to take the enforcement on the kickoff.
Then after the ready-for-play on the PAT, the defense was trying to call the offensive signals and was flagged for unsportmanlike.
We gave the option to enforce on the kickoff.
So it was like off-setting fouls.
>
Man how can I miss that! No one said a word but it burns me up that we missed something that I had read all year.
So after the ready, if there is a foul it has to be enforced on the try?
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget that this rule no longer addresses fouls just by the defense but also fouls by the offense.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
So after the ready, if there is a foul it has to be enforced on the try?
Yes, if there is a dead ball foul after the RFP but before the snap, it MUST be enforced on the try itself.