The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Carryover fouls

It has always been my understanding that fouls during a TD-scoring play may not carry over to the 3rd quarter. Say, for example, foul was committed during the try at the end of the 2nd quarter. May that be carried over?

Some situations...can someone please set me straight? Assume team A wants to keep the points in all situations and enforce on succeeding play.

Sit 1: A scores a TD-scoring play on the last play of the 1st quarter.

Ruling: Enforce on kickoff. Untimed down

Sit 2: Same as #1 except at end of 2nd quarter

Ruling: Can not carry over to the 3rd quarter.

Sit 3: Successful field goal at the end of the 1st quarter

Ruling: No untimed down. Enforce on 2nd quarter kickoff

Sit 4: Same as #3 except at end of 2nd quarter

Ruling: No untimed down. No enforcement of 3rd quarter kickoff.

And, in all 4 situations what if the foul was unsportsmanlike? Am I correct in assuming these don't have to be assessed on the TRY of the USC happens during a TD-scoring play?

Last edited by ljudge; Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 12:45pm.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
And, in all 4 situations what if the foul was unsportsmanlike? Am I correct in assuming these don't have to be assessed on the TRY of the USC happens during a TD-scoring play?
The USC has to be enforced on the try. It cannot be carried over to the kickoff - ever.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I thought so too and have always done it that way. But the new 8.2.2 doesn't get specific. Is there a place where they clear this up?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

10-4-5-a specifies that the enforcement spot for an USC foul is the succeeding spot.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

First we will say the foul was a PF and not USC as USC has different enforcement rules.
Quote:

The try was an untimed down and thus allows the quarter to end in my opinion. Kick-off to start the second quarter with the penalty.

Quote:

Correct. This can't carry over and if enforced must be on the try as forcing an untimed kick-off at the end of the 2nd quarter is absolutely pointless.

Quote:

This is the most likely one to require and untimed kick-off in my mind. The period can't end with a live-ball foul so there must be an untimed down.

Quote:

Can't carry this one over to the third quarter but really need a clean down to end the period. However again this untimed kick-off at the end of the 2nd or 4th quarters is pointless.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

If a PF foul occurs on a scoring play (td) of the last timed of 2nd qtr. Help the team out and tell them to enforce on the try or decline the foul. As it would give the other team a chance to score on the untimed kick off.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
It has always been my understanding that fouls during a TD-scoring play may not carry over to the 3rd quarter. Say, for example, foul was committed during the try at the end of the 2nd quarter. May that be carried over?

Some situations...can someone please set me straight? Assume team A wants to keep the points in all situations and enforce on succeeding play.

CANADIAN RULING:

Minor fouls that occur during a TD play do not carry over anywhere. Major fouls do carry over - to whereever you want! Major fouls are Objectionable Conduct, Unnecessary Roughness, Rough Play, No Mouthguard. UR and RP can induce a KO in the same quarter.

Situations:
0. Yes, a major foul during a try can induce a KO in the 2nd, or carry over to the 3rd quarter. In fact, I had one of these tonight.
  1. If there's a major foul, possibly induce a KO in 1Q or carry to 2Q.
  2. If there's a major foul, possibly induce a KO in 2Q or carry to 3Q.
  3. If there's a major foul, possibly induce a KO in 1Q or carry to 2Q.
  4. If there's a major foul, possibly induce a KO in 2Q or carry to 3Q.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 08:20am.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Can they carry over a last-play football foul from the 4th period to basketball season?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
Correct. This can't carry over and if enforced must be on the try as forcing an untimed kick-off at the end of the 2nd quarter is absolutely pointless.
There is nowhere in the rule book that allows you to enforce the foul on the try. The scoring team's only options are to decline the penalty, or enforce it on the kickoff. Since the foul occurred on the last timed down of the quarter, the quarter must be extended for one untimed down with the acceptance of the penalty. The fact that the rule is pointless in your opinion is immaterial.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 09:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Can they carry over a last-play football foul from the 4th period to basketball season?
Some leagues do have suspensions that carry from the end of one year to the beginning of another. I wish school-related sports had this policy.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

We had a lengthy conversation about this at our local meeting this year with the change.

Here is how it was explained by the interpreter present.

Live ball fouls against the defense on successful scoring plays, touchdown, field goal, or PAT. Can always be enforced at the succeeding spot. New this year was added the option after a touchdown to enforce the penalty on the ensuing kickoff (8.2.2)

The interpreter said that the ensuing kickoff assumes a kickoff will follow as a result of the score.

Live ball foul by the team allowing a touchdown with time left in the half: enforcement options include live ball enforcement, succeeding spot enforcement (PAT) or kickoff enforcement. When touchdown is scored with no time left in 1st or 3rd quarter, and penalty is enforced on kickoff, the kickoff is still part of the 2nd or 4th quarter (period not extended for the penalty enforcement)

Live ball foul by the team allowing a touchdown with no time left in the half (when there is not an ensuing kickoff): enforcement options include, live ball enforcements and succeeding spot enforcement (PAT). Cannot carry penalty to second half or to overtime.

Live ball foul by the team allowing a field goal or successful PAT enforcement options are live ball enforcement, or succeeding spot enforcement. Succeeding spot enforcement (when succeeding spot is in 2nd half or overtime) can include in essence carry penalty over. Succeeding spot enforcement never extends a period.

Dead ball foul by a team allowing any score is always enforced on the succeeding spot, which would be the PAT after a touchdown, if the PAT is attempted. And the period is never extended for a dead ball foul.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

IMHO. 8.2.2 should be expanded next year to include USC and dead ball PFs.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:23am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Some leagues do have suspensions that carry from the end of one year to the beginning of another. I wish school-related sports had this policy.
Some states do this. If a person is ejected from their last football game, they must sit out the first contest of the winter sport season whether it's basketball, wrestling, or whatever they participate in.

Some states just "overlook" the ejection if it was in the last game of the season. I disagree with that, as it's unfair to those who had to serve a suspension during the season.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
There is nowhere in the rule book that allows you to enforce the foul on the try. The scoring team's only options are to decline the penalty, or enforce it on the kickoff. Since the foul occurred on the last timed down of the quarter, the quarter must be extended for one untimed down with the acceptance of the penalty. The fact that the rule is pointless in your opinion is immaterial.
I am concerned about your first statement. I specified that my responses were based on a personal foul and not an unsportsmanlike foul so we don't have the prescribed enforcement situation.

So in this play the defense committed a live-ball personal foul on the last play of the second quarter and the offense also scored on the play. Are you really saying that the offense is not allowed by rule to enforce this penalty on the try? I believe you are greatly mistaken if that is what you are trying to say.

8-2-2 If during a touchdown-scoring play in which there is no change of possession, a foul by the opponents of the scoring team occurs, the scoring team may accept the results of the play and have a penalty enforced from the succeeding spot or may choose to have the foul enforced on the ensuing kickoff.

But let's look at the rules covering untimed downs.

3-3-3 A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the timed last down of the period, one of the following occurs:
a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for unsportsmanlike fouls, non-player fouls or fouls that specify loss of down.

3-3-3a is very specific that a period must be extended by an untimed down if the penalty is accepted for the personal foul in this case. Neither the rules book nor the case book says anything about what this untimed down is and 2-7-1 specifies that a down is either a scrimmage play or a free kick. However a try is also an untimed down by definition, 8-3-1.

So let's look at 3-3-4a
3-3-4 A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurs:
a. When the defense fouls during a successful try/field goal and the offended team accepts the results of the play with enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot.

That says we don't have to ever extend a period because of a foul on a successful try or field goal. This way we don't have an untimed free kick. Now why would they do this? You can decide for yourself but I think it is because the untimed free kick is a pointless play at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

So now we go back to the foul during the TD play. Why wouldn't the rules book specify that this foul during the TD does not extend the period for the untimed free kick like it did for a field goal or a try? Because there is already an untimed down following the TD-scoring play, the try.

I never said that the rule was immaterial. I said an untimed kick-off at the end of a half was pointless and I think the rules writers also felt that way and thus the rules don't support an untimed kick-off, I just didn't include my rule references originally.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
First we will say the foul was a PF and not USC as USC has different enforcement rules.

The try was an untimed down and thus allows the quarter to end in my opinion. Kick-off to start the second quarter with the penalty.

This is the most likely one to require and untimed kick-off in my mind. The period can't end with a live-ball foul so there must be an untimed down.

Can't carry this one over to the third quarter but really need a clean down to end the period. However again this untimed kick-off at the end of the 2nd or 4th quarters is pointless.
But based on those rules I must revise my comments from earlier.
#1 The try is the untimed down. Penalize on the kick-off to start the second quarter.
#2 The try is the untimed down. The only place the penalty can be enforced is on the try.
#3 No untimed down as a result of the foul on the successful field goal. Change ends and enforce the penalty on the kick-off.
#4 No untimed down as a result of the foul on the successful field goal. The penalty will not be enforced.