The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Goal line run

I've had two plays over the last few days where a runner was falling across the goal line. I called touchdown both times, but both times (once a coach and once another official) told me they thought the runner's knee was down before he crossed the goal line. My question is this...as a wing official, how do you watch that situation to see both the ball crossing the goal line and look for the knee hitting the ground?

The first time it happened was in a youth game (11-12 year olds) and the opposing coach went kinda' crazy and I realized I wasn't even looking for the kid's knee to hit the ground, so I was worried I blew the call. Not too worried though since it was 1st and goal from the one yard line in a blow-out game...they probably would've scored anyway since they were scoring at will by that point.

The second time was in a JV game last night and I was fairly confident his knee touched the ground after the ball crossed the line because he didn't even start falling forward until he was within one yard of the goal line and he fell in a pretty "stiff" manner...meaning it seemed like he was trying to keep his knees off the ground as he fell forward.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post
I've had two plays over the last few days where a runner was falling across the goal line. I called touchdown both times, but both times (once a coach and once another official) told me they thought the runner's knee was down before he crossed the goal line. My question is this...as a wing official, how do you watch that situation to see both the ball crossing the goal line and look for the knee hitting the ground?

The first time it happened was in a youth game (11-12 year olds) and the opposing coach went kinda' crazy and I realized I wasn't even looking for the kid's knee to hit the ground, so I was worried I blew the call. Not too worried though since it was 1st and goal from the one yard line in a blow-out game...they probably would've scored anyway since they were scoring at will by that point.

The second time was in a JV game last night and I was fairly confident his knee touched the ground after the ball crossed the line because he didn't even start falling forward until he was within one yard of the goal line and he fell in a pretty "stiff" manner...meaning it seemed like he was trying to keep his knees off the ground as he fell forward.
Why would you worry about the opposing coach? He's at least 25 yards away with no angle.

You just gotta look for the runner being down and find the ball at that exact time and sell that spot.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

As Rich said, you have to watch both. Nobody said this referee stuff was easy.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:15am
TODO: creative title here

Yes, you have to watch both.

One thing that'll help on plays like that, if you're not 100% sure if he's in or not, make your decision either way, and sell it like you know that you're absolutely, positively, 100% confident that your call is correct. If you look like you're sure of yourself, the coaches can't say a whole lot, because you've got a better angle then they do.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Stay wide so that you can see both. Too many times on a goal line play we want to rush in and be closer. Stay wide enough that you can have both in your view at the same time. Then decide and sell your call.

Don't worry what the coach is going to say. He is too far away and his opinion at this point is irrelevant. The other official could have possibly been blocked out as well. If it is on your side make the call. You will be alright.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

One eye on the ball and One eye on the knee
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 12:16pm
Chain of Fools

Had a similar situation in a JV game this season. Staying wide helps but also you have to fight focusing in to narrowly. I'm guilty of that sometimes, even now.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

You do have to force yourself to watch the entire play. I agree it is tough. Being wide helps keep that focus wider too. Too many times we want to rush in. Hold for a second, be sure of what you see, then sell it.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Its even more "fun" when you loose the ball and the ball carrier in the pile on the 1 foot line. Sometimes an alert U will give his wings a head nod or shake as the wings come in to the pile hoping someone actually saw the ball and a knee at some point. We were talking about this the other day and it is ironic that such critical elements of the game are so fundamentally subjective; close spots, measurements, these types of goal line calls...All we can do is the best we can and as has been said already, SELL your call! If coaches are where they are supposed to be they have ZERO angle to dispute a goal line call anyway..of course that wont stop them frrm disagreeing

One way to train for these situaitons is to watch as much film as you can and deliberatley focus on these finer points during games.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

The other thing to add to the other valuable information provided is to slow down on the touchdown signal. Give your opposite wing a glance and make sure he's not charging in, selling a spot short of the goal line. It also gives you a little extra time to process what you just saw and be certain with your call.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Another thing to remember. GET to the goal line. Don't go up with the play. When the ball is snapped immediately move the couple of yards to the goal line. Then rule as you are stationary.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Five and in, your first move is straight to the goal line and be waiting for the runner. The way I remember it is the Jackson Five song "Got to be there".

If is is punched up the middle, then take your time before you signal, your first eye contact is to the other wing to see what he has - he might've seen the knee down and be selling a spot. It seems like an hour in your head, but actually it only takes a second to look.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Get to the goal line ASAP after the snap. This may include 'reverse goal line' if A is going out so you can rule on a safety.

If you have him down before the ball crosses the GL, then hit the whistle and run in pointing to the ground, selling your call, "NO NO he's down here!!"

If you loose sight of the ball, then you need to go in to the pile and search. Don't rush your signal or whistle.

Watch the ball and the knee at the same time. This is why we get paid the big bucks.
Old Sat Oct 24, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post
I was fairly confident his knee touched the ground after the ball crossed the line
Build your confidence in yourself and change this "fairly" to "very" and you'll be fine. As others have said, the coach had no angle at all, plus he might be a little biased; and the official across the field from from isn't always right.

If you see it and you're sure you make the call.