The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Goal line -- not seeing the ball

I know it doesn't look good when we have to do this, but it's nice to see Markbreit address this in a column:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbreit's Column
Let's say an official on the sideline isn't sure if the ball broke the plane of the goal line because his view of the ball was obstructed. He looks at his counterpart across the field, and he didn't have a clear view either. How do they make the call? In that situation, does the head lineman's best estimate prevail? --David Englund, Belvidere, Ill.

There is no estimating by officials in ruling a score. If no official sees the ball break the plane of the goal line, they will continue to run toward the pile of players. If they find the ball over the goal line while digging through the players, a touchdown is signaled. In the pro game, replay can assist when no one sees the ball break the plane of the goal line.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta find that ball... if you cant see it way out on the side, thats why you have to come bustin' in...
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar729
Gotta find that ball... if you cant see it way out on the side, thats why you have to come bustin' in...
REPLY: Also...set up a signal with your U that he can use to indicate to you that he has the ball in the runner's possesssion in the end zone. He shouldn't signal TD, but he should be able to help the wings in these cases. Our U puts his closed fist on his chest like he grabbing a lanyard.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
We were doing the same with the closed fist on the chest, until some started picking up on the signal. Now most guys here will just call out their name if the have the ball in.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

We had a big discussion about this following a close play on a QB sneak on the GL that we could not cleary see. Here is what we came up with. First, wings have to crash. Second, the umpire gives a signal to the wings if he has the ball in the EZ (not a TD signal mind you). If the wings crash and don't see the ball break the plane and the U doesn't see the ball in the EZ, then we have no TD (and we will not see the ball in there 30 seconds later, then rule TD, as he could have gotten it in there will a roll).
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I was watching a college game (Cincinatti vs ?) on TV over the weekend and seen a play like this. The wing came rushing in and before he could find the ball the Umpire done threw his arms up and signaled TD. The wing finally seen the ball and signaled as well.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I have a problem with the NFL's mechanics on the goal line. Both wing officials stay on the side lines. They never move toward the ball or "pinch in". Then, if they don't see the ball cross the goal line, they come running in. Three days later they signal touchdown. Now, you know that ball carrier had all the time in the world to move that ball across the line while under the pile. I just don't think you should signal touchdown unless you watch the ball cross over the goal line, not just find it in the end zone after you run in.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

This issue was addressed Mark Baultz (NFL official) at the Indy clinic this summer. He made a very convincing arguement for crashing the pile and spotting the ball where it ends up. In the past I had been calling the play short if I didn't see it cross the line...but upon relection, I think awarding the ball where you find it (the umpire freeze the pile and help you out with what he sees) is the best way to make the right call the most times.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth
This issue was addressed Mark Baultz (NFL official) at the Indy clinic this summer. He made a very convincing arguement for crashing the pile and spotting the ball where it ends up. In the past I had been calling the play short if I didn't see it cross the line...but upon relection, I think awarding the ball where you find it (the umpire freeze the pile and help you out with what he sees) is the best way to make the right call the most times.
How in the heck does the umpier "freeze the pile"?? I understand he is right there and starts digging but there is no way he is going to prevent the runner from advancing the ball over the goal line after he is down.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Look for your umpire to nod, or tip his cap

if none of the 3 of you think he is in... he isn't
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

If you don't see the ball, don't make the call.

Bob
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

If you crash, you can usually tell by how the player is laying whether he has advanced the ball. If the ball is still tucked away and is a foot beyond the endzone, you got a TD. If you never saw the kid stretch the ball in front of him on his feet and when you crash you find him with the ball stretched just barely breaking the plane, it's probably short.

As for pinching in before the play, what do you do if the play doesn't go up the middle? What if it comes to your sideline? What if you have a pylon play? Do you want to be officiating while backing up? Worse yet, do you want to have the play go behind you? The NFL mechanic is a good mechanic - start wide and crash once you KNOW the ball went up the middle.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

As the umpire on our crew I us a thumbs up signal when I have the ball in the EZ. Holding teh fist to my shest is not always visible to wings, so I extend my arm out in front of me. Our wings know that I have the ball in the EZ, but that does not mean TD, so they still must use their own judgement.