The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question Out of bounds

OK, I am having a hard time getting a hold of this one: NFHS rules, 2-29-2. The way it reads a ball carrier, tip toeing the side line, could step on a fallen player that is out of bounds, step back in bounds and keep running! Can someone help me out with the intent of the rule and is my view of it wrong! Thanks
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

You don't understand it or you don't like it? Sounds like you understand it just fine.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjr View Post
OK, I am having a hard time getting a hold of this one: NFHS rules, 2-29-2. The way it reads a ball carrier, tip toeing the side line, could step on a fallen player that is out of bounds, step back in bounds and keep running! Can someone help me out with the intent of the rule and is my view of it wrong! Thanks
Do you really want to rule a runner out of bounds when he's touched by another player who's out of bounds? Think of a ball carrier running along the sideline with a defender running along side of him - out of bounds.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 09:22am
Chain of Fools

Don't confuse a loose ball with a player.

Similar concept to a runner not being down on the field of play when he is lying on a downed player. Unless some other body part has touched the ground besides his hand or foot, he isn't down.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjr View Post
Your view of it is not wrong. Your intuition is probably that a body flat on the ground is as good as the ground, like an object (such as a pylon) on the ground, but that's not how it's written. I think the rules makers didn't want to try to distinguish between cases like the above and those where a player is supported by the ground out of bounds but not laying flat.

If the player instead of merely being stepped on shoved the ball carrier back towards the field, that would be flagged for helping the runner.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 01:58pm
Chain of Fools

No, the rules makers didn't want to have exceptions, standard NF philosophy.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

And then there's the old question of what is "returning" to "participate" viewed in the context of this case.