The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Back Judge Down! Pitt/Minn

Am I the only one that thinks # 83 for the Vikings deserves a big fat fine for mowing over the Back Judge in that k/o return yesterday?

He was well away from the play, there was no block to be made, the player seemed to have a good vision of the play and made no effort to avoid the poor official.

Not only that, it looked to me like the player gave the official a "get the heck out of my way shiver" on the way past.

As an umpire, I am well aware that contact between players and officials is sometimes unavoidable...but that one looked COMPLETELY avoidable IMHO.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

It looked unintentional to me. I think he did not realize who was in front of him. I would give the officials the benefit of the doubt without other information. I do not think we can go looking for something to call on something like this. It is not like the player went out of his way to hit the official. I think you are reading too much into the situation if you ask me.

BTW, the BJ is in an association I belong to. I wish him the best and hope he gets back on the field ASAP. Richie is a great guy and has been helpful to a lot of officials in the area.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I was on the Yahoo sports section ealier today, and they had a story about this. You would not have believed the comments that were posted about it. "He deserved it." "I hope he got a concussion." "The ref got what he deserved, they all suck." "He should of been doing his job and watching the play." It went on and on. The incredible ignorance of these cretins was breath taking.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 05:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I didn't see any real problem with the "accidental hit" on the BJ yesterday. To me, it just looked like part of the game after the runner cut back.....When big guys like that get a moving, it's hard to stop.....

The BJ did get hit pretty good though. Hope he's ok.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
I was on the Yahoo sports section ealier today, and they had a story about this. You would not have believed the comments that were posted about it. "He deserved it." "I hope he got a concussion." "The ref got what he deserved, they all suck." "He should of been doing his job and watching the play." It went on and on. The incredible ignorance of these cretins was breath taking.
Saw that too, and it was hideous. Most of them went on to say how the refs deserved it for "screwing" the Vikings out of a win. I wonder how the officials were able to make Brett "Diva" Favre overthrow the pass that got ran back for the TD that sealed their fate. Those comments are just like sideline yahoos mouthing what they know nothing about. The main reason why I try not to read any of it..
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Saw that too, and it was hideous. Most of them went on to say how the refs deserved it for "screwing" the Vikings out of a win. I wonder how the officials were able to make Brett "Diva" Favre overthrow the pass that got ran back for the TD that sealed their fate. Those comments are just like sideline yahoos mouthing what they know nothing about. The main reason why I try not to read any of it..
Technically "Diva" Favre did not overthrow Taylor on the pass. It hit him in the hands and he couldn't handle it. I do find it ironic the player in question is the same one called for the tripping penalty on the previous drive. Bad call by the official (on replay) but still not worth getting knocked down. Colin Cowherd was talking about the play today and said the officials are too old and they need to hire younger, more fit officials. He didn't think it was that hard of a job and anyone could do it.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

It certainly appeared on the video I saw that it was not accidental. This player made his approach and then pushed the B to the ground with his arms extended after the push. To me your arms don't extend like that accidentally.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard View Post
Am I the only one that thinks # 83 for the Vikings deserves a big fat fine for mowing over the Back Judge in that k/o return yesterday?
He was running and turned to see the BJ at the very last second. The arms appear to extend as a natural reaction to suddenly find someone in front of you, to keep from running into him. Unfortunately, he was already on top of him.

The BJ did not make the tripping call, nor do I think there was any retaliation. That's silly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I wouldn't trust Colin Cowherd to wash my car.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
He was running and turned to see the BJ at the very last second. The arms appear to extend as a natural reaction to suddenly find someone in front of you, to keep from running into him. Unfortunately, he was already on top of him.

The BJ did not make the tripping call, nor do I think there was any retaliation. That's silly.
I know. I just find it ironic he was the player who ran into the official.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
When did the truth stand in the way of a good sports story?
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Colin Cowherd was talking about the play today and said the officials are too old and they need to hire younger, more fit officials. He didn't think it was that hard of a job and anyone could do it.
Can I stand next to him to let him know every time he makes a mistake when he actually tries?
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

YouTube - Referee gets decked by Vikings guy

Looks to me like Dugan was running down the field looking for someone to block (most likely #31 who is shown chasing Harvin toward the end) and just didn't see the shorter official or assumed he would get out of the way. Looked like a case of a big beefy dude hustling to make a play. He had tunnel vision, didn't see the official. It was clearly by accident.

Anyone who has been a BJ or U is fully aware that any player who is not a running back is not looking out for the officials. Their brains are going a mile a minute and if you don't get out of their way you could be collateral damage.

Cowherd is a bonehead.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not familiar with NFL 7 man mechanics.

Can someone tell me what the BJ was doing on the hash on a KO return? What position was the other official on the other hash and why was he there?
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
I'm not familiar with NFL 7 man mechanics.

Can someone tell me what the BJ was doing on the hash on a KO return? What position was the other official on the other hash and why was he there?
...i believe college does the same thing in 7 man