The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

???

Trying to clear something up with a buddy of mine, Does anyone know why home teams in football wear their dark jerseys instead of the white ones. Thanks
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know, but to further your perplexity, I remember when in interscholastic games the reverse was the more common convention.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Dalls Cowboys have always worn white at home.. a few others do it on occassion as well. NBA white is the prefered home jersey...who knows?
A good jeopardy question!
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Trying to clear something up with a buddy of mine, Does anyone know why home teams in football wear their dark jerseys instead of the white ones. Thanks
It's customary in football to allow the home school to wear their colors.

In basketball, home team wears white.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

This varies from state to state and among different sports at different levels. In MN, they have worn colors at home in basketball which is unusual. When I was growing up in Ohio each league had their own rules on football colors. I attended 2 different HS's in 2 different leagues and one wore white at home and the other wore their color at home. In the NFL back in the 60's home wore white so that the fans could see the various colors of the visiting teams. The NHL recently changed to colors at home, which I disagreed with. There was so much tradition with teams wearing white at home.

I don't think it is a consistent rule.

Just don't wear Seattle Seahawks puke green again, please! They looked like they just came off a highway construction site.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

In the NFL, the Cowboys, Dolphins, and Redskins almost always wear their white jerseys at home.

But I wondered that years ago... It seems every other sport is the opposite. I would think that the norm would be how football does it... go figure.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a little something I stumbled upon...

1. The Browns wore white jerseys most of the time in the 1950s…but that was before all NFL teams were required to have a colored jersey and a white jersey. The Browns did have a brown jersey but rarely wore them.

2. In 1957, the NFL mandated that every team must have 2 jerseys, and that they had to wear the dark jersey at home. This lasted through the 1963 season.

3. In 1964, the NFL allowed teams to choose what jersey to wear at home. The Cowboys had just changed to their current uniforms that year and decided to go with white, which stuck. (I also think this blows.)

4. Many teams did this in the 60s, including the Steelers, who have worn black at home since 1970.

5. Some teams started wearing white at home for early (hot) games, or at home against Dallas to put them in their bad-luck blue jerseys.

6. Believe it or not, some teams HAVE worn white at home: the Packers for the first two games of 1990, the Chiefs in 1980 and the first game of 2006, the Bears for one game in 2005 and 2006, the 49ers in 1976 and for early games in 1978 and 1979…

7. As far as I know, the only teams to NEVER wear white at home are the Raiders and Seahawks.

8. Joe Gibbs started the white at home for the Skins in 1981, and has stubbornly resisted wearing throwbacks or anything else since.

9. Alt jerseys were OK at first, but have gotten out of hand…the Titans even have ALTERNATE PANTS, and wore 7 different unies in 16 games in 2006!!!
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
1. The Browns wore white jerseys most of the time in the 1950s…but that was before all NFL teams were required to have a colored jersey and a white jersey.....The Cowboys had just changed to their current uniforms that year and decided to go with white...Many teams did this in the 60s, including the Steelers, who have worn black at home since 1970....Some teams started wearing white at home for early (hot) games, or at home against Dallas to put them in their bad-luck blue jerseys.

6. Believe it or not, some teams HAVE worn white at home
Really? I had no idea that teams have worn white at home. Not sure if I believe you.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Really? I had no idea that teams have worn white at home. Not sure if I believe you.
Luke, you're supposed to include a smilie when you're being facetious.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
In the NFL back in the 60's home wore white so that the fans could see the various colors of the visiting teams.
That's funny, I remember from NFL & AFL games on TV (televised back to the home market) seeing whites on the visitors all the time, colors home. Only when the Jets played the Giants were the colors of the home market team on TV -- but I was watching in black & white anyway.