The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

a valuable tool

Just thought I would contribute some thoughts on what has seemed to be a valuable tool that past couple of games. Many newer officials and some veteran officials, chain crews and even head linesman have no idea why there is a section of tape directly in the middle of the chain (at the 5 yard mark).
We'll here is why: lets say you have a 3rd and 5 (give or take a half foot). As an R, when I see that situation I make eye contact with the HL and he lets me know with a finger or thumb whether the ball is beyond or behind the tape. If beyond and we have an encroachment by B then we are going to have a first down after marching off the penalty. I don't always get this done before the play but if that flag is thrown and I am unsure, i will then ask the HL or go over myself and check the ball in reference to the tape to see if we are going to have a have a first down or not after marching off the penalty.

This is a very good way to explain to the coach if he questions the step off, and a standard way of being fair regardelss of how large or small the Umpire's steps may be in stepping off a five yard penalty, especially on poorly marked fields.
So, if this is new to you, why not try it out. HL make a point to look for the tape and help your R out without him having to ask in those siuations.

This should be a part of the HL pregame. check the tape by putting the two sticks together and ensuring tape is in the middle at the bend of the chain. if no tape there, then get some from the trainer and tape the chain.

hope this is helpful....
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Just thought I would contribute some thoughts on what has seemed to be a valuable tool that past couple of games. Many newer officials and some veteran officials, chain crews and even head linesman have no idea why there is a section of tape directly in the middle of the chain (at the 5 yard mark).
We'll here is why: lets say you have a 3rd and 5 (give or take a half foot). As an R, when I see that situation I make eye contact with the HL and he lets me know with a finger or thumb whether the ball is beyond or behind the tape. If beyond and we have an encroachment by B then we are going to have a first down after marching off the penalty. I don't always get this done before the play but if that flag is thrown and I am unsure, i will then ask the HL or go over myself and check the ball in reference to the tape to see if we are going to have a have a first down or not after marching off the penalty.

This is a very good way to explain to the coach if he questions the step off, and a standard way of being fair regardelss of how large or small the Umpire's steps may be in stepping off a five yard penalty, especially on poorly marked fields.
So, if this is new to you, why not try it out. HL make a point to look for the tape and help your R out without him having to ask in those siuations.

This should be a part of the HL pregame. check the tape by putting the two sticks together and ensuring tape is in the middle at the bend of the chain. if no tape there, then get some from the trainer and tape the chain.

hope this is helpful....
We take this a step further. The L will simply tell me "5 will get us 1" and I'll repeat it to the crew. No big secret. Sometimes I'll remind guys without the linesman's help if it's obvious but within a yard or so.

(Inside the 10, I ask if half-the-distance will get us 1.)

My linesman replaces the tape every week with a bright white tape.

This is a good point, though. Working youth games I asked the linesman and he looked at me like I was from Mars.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=RichMSN;626436]We take this a step further. The L will simply tell me "5 will get us 1" and I'll repeat it to the crew.QUOTE]

When does the HL tell you this? Before each play when the ball is from 4-5 yards away from the line-to-gain?
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 10:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

[quote=stegenref;626454]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
We take this a step further. The L will simply tell me "5 will get us 1" and I'll repeat it to the crew.QUOTE]

When does the HL tell you this? Before each play when the ball is from 4-5 yards away from the line-to-gain?
When it's within a yard of 5 from the line to gain. Most times I'll notice myself and ask the L if he's occupied with other things. Just part of the presnap routine for us.

The L on my crew is the only person not tasked with counting players (the R/U count offense and the LJ/BJ count defense) mainly so he can focus on the chains and look for things like this.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
My linesman replaces the tape every week with a bright white tape.
However, have you noticed on the new turf fields with the rubber pellets that it takes about 5 minutes for the tape to turn completely black? Still a good idea to bring new tape just in case there is none on the chain, I was just surprised how quickly that nice white tape looks just like the stuff that was already there.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I use a red or yellow electrical tape. Does not dirty as easily and sticks out well.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdj View Post
I use a red or yellow electrical tape. Does not dirty as easily and sticks out well.
The white tape he uses is like electrical tape so it doesn't pick up the dirt as easliy. But it's why he replaces whatever tape is there -- the old stuff is always dirty.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 11:19am
Archaic Power Monger

I use neon zip ties. Work well and go on quickly.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 04:28pm
Chain of Fools

Try removing the multiple layers of athletic tape!?
That's why I carry 1) a small pocket knife, 2) neon zip ties.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 10:32pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I use...

orange electrical tape...
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
This is one of the most commonly taught things in our area. I would be surprised if officials did not know what the tape was for.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 07:41am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
That's why I carry 1) a small pocket knife
Not a bad idea, I might have to add that to my gear.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is one of the most commonly taught things in our area. I would be surprised if officials did not know what the tape was for.
Yep, same here.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Over here in the UK, I encourage my guys to use a coloured zip tie. I find bright yellow shows up best against green grass or against brown mud. If a zip tie gets dirty, they wipe clean easy whereas tape gets dirty and stays dirty.

As HL, I instruct my down box operator to help me out by telling me short (<5) or long (>5) that way I don't have to turn to look myself and I can keep my eyes where they belong - on the players. I'll pass that short/long info on to the White Hat/Umpire so they know.

Also keep a black zip tie inside the brow of my hat in case the chain breaks.