Thread: a valuable tool
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

a valuable tool

Just thought I would contribute some thoughts on what has seemed to be a valuable tool that past couple of games. Many newer officials and some veteran officials, chain crews and even head linesman have no idea why there is a section of tape directly in the middle of the chain (at the 5 yard mark).
We'll here is why: lets say you have a 3rd and 5 (give or take a half foot). As an R, when I see that situation I make eye contact with the HL and he lets me know with a finger or thumb whether the ball is beyond or behind the tape. If beyond and we have an encroachment by B then we are going to have a first down after marching off the penalty. I don't always get this done before the play but if that flag is thrown and I am unsure, i will then ask the HL or go over myself and check the ball in reference to the tape to see if we are going to have a have a first down or not after marching off the penalty.

This is a very good way to explain to the coach if he questions the step off, and a standard way of being fair regardelss of how large or small the Umpire's steps may be in stepping off a five yard penalty, especially on poorly marked fields.
So, if this is new to you, why not try it out. HL make a point to look for the tape and help your R out without him having to ask in those siuations.

This should be a part of the HL pregame. check the tape by putting the two sticks together and ensuring tape is in the middle at the bend of the chain. if no tape there, then get some from the trainer and tape the chain.

hope this is helpful....