The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Tinted Shield Rule Being Fought in WI....

An albino child playing in the AAYFL here in WI is apparently challenging the tinted shield rule. A friend of mine is the head of Park & Rec in a WI city and the issue has been covered the last 3 days locally and apparently will air on Milwaukee TV stations tonight. He called a few days back when this issue arose to get my take and the official rulings (NFHS per WIAA and AAYFL Rulings) regarding the use of a tinted face shield, which most if not all of you know, is illegal equipment per NFHS and Youth league rules for obvious reasons regarding a head/neck issue.

Apparently sunglasses or goggles that are removable, thus legal, aren't good enough for this lad and his family and they're taking it up to the next level.

If you live in WI or get the news from here....stay tuned. I'll post any links I can regarding the story. If any of you have had similar issues anywhere, I'd like to hear them.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the video from tonight's newscast-

Today's TMJ4 - Local News - Video - Disabled Oconomowoc Boy Unable to Play Football
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

It says that the sun is dangerous to him. I assume that means that the UV rays damage his skin and/or eyes. Why can't he just get a clear shield that protects from UV rays?

His sunglasses fall off? Maybe someday someone will come up with an invention that goes around the back of the head that keeps glasses from falling off
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
It says that the sun is dangerous to him. I assume that means that the UV rays damage his skin and/or eyes. Why can't he just get a clear shield that protects from UV rays?

His sunglasses fall off? Maybe someday someone will come up with an invention that goes around the back of the head that keeps glasses from falling off
It might mean that the brightness of the sun threatens his retinas. But your point about protective goggles is well-taken. This case has "loser" written all over it. Some lawyer's out to make a name for himself...
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

When the kid gets to the NFL he can wear the tinted visor But while he is in youth league, HS and college, he needs to find another option. A good place for daddy to start his research:
Protective Eyewear for Children - AllAboutVision.com

And when he is ready to buy:
Goggles
These are "helmet compatible".

Dad says he does not plan to sue, he just wants to educate people about the boy's condition. Sounds like daddy needs some edgeyoumawkashun himself.