The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

End of Iowa Game today

If you saw the end of the Iowa-UNI game today I have a question.

UNI has no time outs, The FG was attempted with ;06 to go on first down and was blocked. The ball never crosses the line of scrimmage and is recovered by the kicking team (UNI). The clock was stopped and UNI was awarded 2nd down and another FG attempt. (Which was blocked too) Why would the clock stop?
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

This is why I don't officiate football lol I'm sticking with basketball and baseball. I would love to know the ruling and reasoning on this one. Glad you posted it before I got here because I wouldn't know how to describe it. It was the longest review I've ever experienced in a stadium. I think they read the ref the rule book on the headset

-Josh
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Clock is stopped following any legal scrimmage kick and started on the snap. Doesn't matter if it is blocked or not. As long as they kicked it, the clocks stops following the play.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears View Post
Clock is stopped following any legal scrimmage kick and started on the snap. Doesn't matter if it is blocked or not. As long as they kicked it, the clocks stops following the play.
Thanks Mike...Does the clock stop once the kick comes off the foot? after it crosses the line of scrimmage? I'm sorry if this is a "stupid" question.

-Josh
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Thanks Mike...Does the clock stop once the kick comes off the foot? after it crosses the line of scrimmage? I'm sorry if this is a "stupid" question.

-Josh
Once the ball becomes dead. If it was blocked and somebody recovered it whlie laying on the ground that would kill the clock. I didn't see the game and haven't had a chance to see replays so I really don't know what happened. All I know is that UNI got two chances and didn't make either.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

-Josh
It's a scrimmage kick. The clock stops when the ball becomes dead. It is the same as a punt.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears View Post
Once the ball becomes dead. If it was blocked and somebody recovered it whlie laying on the ground that would kill the clock. I didn't see the game and haven't had a chance to see replays so I really don't know what happened. All I know is that UNI got two chances and didn't make either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
It's a scrimmage kick. The clock stops when the ball becomes dead. It is the same as a punt.
Thanks Gentleman...I apologize for my ignorance of football. The ball was recovered after the first blocked FG by UNI (actually Iowa ran away from it)

-Josh
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

The call was definitely the right call. I was wondering about the clock status. There was 1 second left on the clock after the first kick (started with :07 not :06) so it was very close. Smart move by UNI. Too bad they couldn't convert.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

In Fed rules, the clock would start on the ready.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes View Post
Are you sure the clock would stop at all? Do you have a rule reference for that?
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Your right. Clock doesn't stop. It keeps running.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

In NF, the clock would not have stopped at all on that play.

An Iowa defender could have picked it up, or fell on it, but got away. A UNI player picked it up and immediately was tackled. Then Iowa blocked the next FG also to secure the win.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks Gentleman...I apologize for my ignorance of football. The ball was recovered after the first blocked FG by UNI (actually Iowa ran away from it)

-Josh
Players are taught to run away from a blocked FG when it will deliver a win, we usually use Leon lett and his thanksgiving day blunder be a good example!!

Only bad things happen when big lineman try to pick up a loose ball.

Headlinesman or Line Judge in 4 and 5 man mechanics has the line of scrimmage and determines wether the kick crosses the line of scrimmage.

It looks like they got it right!!
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I learned something this morning about this call. As some of you that watched the game live would have noticed a VERY long delay by the replay official reviewing the play to make sure the ball did not cross the LOS. Well, as I found out this morning from press box personnel, this was because the replay official was looking up the run and literally reading it to the ref on field There was a reason they got this ruling right.

It's funny because I thought it was an extended time to just be making sure the ball did not cross the LOS.

-Josh
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes View Post
I think the first FG attempt was on 1st down so the clock would not have stopped.