The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle in the end zone question--

Last night, I had a Jr high game with a new, but eager, official.
During the second quarter we had an interception in the endzone. The player started to run but the official blew his whistle and gave a beautiful touchback signal.
I knew it was an IW and told both coaches (not sure if they even knew what a IW was) and placed the ball on the twenty yard line and gave it to the team that intercepted the ball since the ball became dead behind the endzone. Even gave the team a choice of result or replay. And just knew I was correct. I would have even done the same thing on a friday night game.
>
Today, I just read the rule book concerning IW and noticed that in the case book 4.2.3 Situation D it says it should be a safety if the team takes the result of the play. The play in the case book deals with the momentum rule where a player intercepts on the 2 yard line and then goes into the endzone. It says it is a safety if the team takes the result of the play.
How can this be-- It Rule 8-5-2 under the exception the momentum rule says if the ball becomes dead in the end zone it belongs to the team last in possession at the spot of the interception.
>
Does this seem like the rule contradict each other or am I missing something? And did I blow the result of the IW last night?

Last edited by kfo9494; Fri Sep 04, 2009 at 02:52pm.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Case play 4.2.3-D does not mention the momentum exception, only that B "circles back into his end zone." The phrasing would lead me to believe it was not momentum, but his own choice that took him into the endzone.

Thus, B was responsible for the ball being in the end zone. Ball is dead in the end zone. Result: Safety.

In your case, Rule 8-5-3-d is all you need. "It is a touchback when: A forward pass is intercepted in B's end zone and becomes dead there in B's possession."

You got it right.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
Last night, I had a Jr high game with a new, but eager, official.
During the second quarter we had an interception in the endzone. The player started to run but the official blew his whistle and gave a beautiful touchback signal.
I knew it was an IW and told both coaches (not sure if they even knew what a IW was) and placed the ball on the twenty yard line and gave it to the team that intercepted the ball since the ball became dead behind the endzone. Even gave the team a choice of result or replay. And just knew I was correct. I would have even done the same thing on a friday night game.
>
Today, I just read the rule book concerning IW and noticed that in the case book 4.2.3 Situation D it says it should be a safety if the team takes the result of the play. The play in the case book deals with the momentum rule where a player intercepts on the 2 yard line and then goes into the endzone. It says it is a safety if the team takes the result of the play.
How can this be-- It Rule 8-5-2 under the exception the momentum rule says if the ball becomes dead in the end zone it belongs to the team last in possession at the spot of the interception.
>
Does this seem like the rule contradict each other or am I missing something? And did I blow the result of the IW last night?
4.2.3 Sit D does not mention the momentum exception. The situation states "B1 intercepts on his 2-yard line and circles back into his end zone."

The momentum exception only applies if the player's original momentum at the time he catches the pass, fumble or kick carries him into the end zone. Since 4.2.3. Sit D says that B1 circled back, then B1 is responsible for putting the ball in the end zone. Therefore, if they accept the result of the play it will be a safety.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I read the case play and assumed it was momentum rule. Thanks for the replies, I was having a brain fark.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

You got it dead right, KFO. And I can top that with the story of my first IW.

I'm working LJ on a JV game. Scrimmage play from A's own two yard line. QB takes the snap and hands off to the up back who dives into the line and is downed a couple of yards upfield. I blow the whistle just as the up back rolls over towards me - and he doesn't have the ball. Turns out that the exchange was bobbled, and the ball is rolling around in A's end zone, with three B players about to jump on it.

Fortunately for my backside, I was on A's sideline, so I didn't take the bull-chewing that I so richly deserved. I'd like to say I never did that again, but I'd be lying as I did have a similar play two seasons ago. That one took place around midfield, and an A linesman had recovered and advanced about 10 yards (though he had plkenty of open field in front of him). In the very first playoff game I ever worked. On the same crew as the man we'd just elected as our Commissioner for the following season.

And somehow, I didn't get a playoff game last year. Hmmm...
Old Tue Sep 08, 2009, 08:34am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I was having a brain fark.
Is that more painful than a brain fart?