The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

free blocking zone

First year official looking for easy explanation of the free blocking zone. I know both A and B players have to be within the zone 4 yards latterally each side of the ball and 3 yards deep. So when does the free blocking zone die? I know when the ball leaves. Is the ball considered to have left when the qb gives a basic handoff to the running back. Because most running backs are 5 yards behind the LOS. Any clarification would be extremely helpful.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 09:37pm
Chain of Fools

Yup, it disintegrates when the ball has left the zone, so it was out well before a handoff 5 yards back.

You really can't simplify it more than "the ball has left the zone". Earlier versions of the rule stated the BBW had to be the initial charge if I recall correctly.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Both a and b players need to have started on the line in order to take advantage of the free blocking zone. i.e. You may not block a linebacker below the waist even though he started in the zone because he was not on the LOS at the snap.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is something that might help in a much more descriptive way.

Blocking Presentation

Peace
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Not necessarily

Just because the RB started 5 yards back doesn't mean the ball left the zone...if the running back comes forward and takes the handoff still in the zone then the ball is still in the zone.

It only matters where the ball is located, not who has it, where they started or where they are...only the location of the ball matters in determining if the zone has disintegrated yet.
Old Wed Aug 26, 2009, 09:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
Both a and b players need to have started on the line in order to take advantage of the free blocking zone. i.e. You may not block a linebacker below the waist even though he started in the zone because he was not on the LOS at the snap.
True for clipping and block below the waist however A may block a B player in thr back if the A player is on the line and in the zone and the B player is in the zone at the snap. The B player doesn't need to be on the line.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
If a ball has not yet entered the FBZ, how could it have already disintegrated? If the FBZ disappears at the handoff, does it come back alive when the runner enters the FBZ? Just asking.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 01:59am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
If a ball has not yet entered the FBZ, how could it have already disintegrated? If the FBZ disappears at the handoff, does it come back alive when the runner enters the FBZ? Just asking.
Once the FBZ disintegrates it is gone until the next down.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

It is like the magic yellow line on TV games. It appears and disappears based on where the ball is. Cool!
Old Tue Sep 01, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Here is something that might help in a much more descriptive way.

Blocking Presentation

Peace
JRut, any chance you have that presentation with the videos working? That would really help me visualize. Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
You can clip and BBW a linebacker as long as the A player is in the zone is on his LOS and in the zone at the snap AND the linebacker is within 1 yard of the LOS at the snap. If a B player is within 1 yard of the LOS, they are considered to be on the line.

2-17-2; 2-17-3; 2-25-3

On another note, if A is in a shotgun formation, any of the blocks that are allowed in the free blocking zone must occur on the initial burst. Even though the ball has probably left the zone by the time the block occurs, NFHS has interpreted that the ball is considered to be in the zone if the block occurs on the initial charge.

CB 2-17-2 Sit. E
Old Wed Sep 02, 2009, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
JRut, any chance you have that presentation with the videos working? That would really help me visualize. Thanks.
I do not know if the file is too big to send in email. I will try to send it to you when I get back home this weekend. Send me a PM and I will attempt if you send me an address.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Question Free Blocking initial charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Yup, it disintegrates when the ball has left the zone, so it was out well before a handoff 5 yards back.

You really can't simplify it more than "the ball has left the zone". Earlier versions of the rule stated the BBW had to be the initial charge if I recall correctly.
We saw a video at our Association meeting that is put out by a a Hawaiian Officials group. It is a tremendous tool. They show actual plays and discuss the rules. During the section on the Free Blocking Zone the commentator said that the blocks were illegal because they were not on the initial charge. When I mentioned to the interpreter that nowhere in the rulebook or casebook does it mention 'initial charge' he stated that I should go to the NFHS website and look for corrections. In the casebook on page 14 2.17.3, 2.17.4 Sit.A and 2.17.4 Sit.B seems to emphasize that initial charge is not the case. These entries say that the lineman takes a step backward and then three sideward steps before clipping or blocking in the back. There is no case stating a block below the waist. Does a block below the waist have to be on the initial charge?
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 07:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgs View Post
We saw a video at our Association meeting that is put out by a a Hawaiian Officials group. It is a tremendous tool. They show actual plays and discuss the rules. During the section on the Free Blocking Zone the commentator said that the blocks were illegal because they were not on the initial charge. When I mentioned to the interpreter that nowhere in the rulebook or casebook does it mention 'initial charge' he stated that I should go to the NFHS website and look for corrections. In the casebook on page 14 2.17.3, 2.17.4 Sit.A and 2.17.4 Sit.B seems to emphasize that initial charge is not the case. These entries say that the lineman takes a step backward and then three sideward steps before clipping or blocking in the back. There is no case stating a block below the waist. Does a block below the waist have to be on the initial charge?
This initial charge is used when there is a shotgun formation. Even though the snap puts the ball out of the FBZ (and hence the zone disintegrates), we allow an initial charge to be a BBW, BIB, or clip if the rest of the requirements are in place. If the ball never leaves the zone, the block can be anytime until the zone disintegrates.
Old Tue Sep 08, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgs View Post
Read 2.17.2 Situation E. This refers to when you would use the "initial charge" terminology. Since the FBZ disintegrates as soon as the ball leaves, it is impossible to guage exactly when it leave the zone on a scrimmage kick or when the QB is in shot gun. This case play helps clarify how to handle these situations. If the blocker delays at all, you have foul.