View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Great advice from everyone!

I have been attending meetings at a Chicago officials' association for about 5 years now. What's nice about their weekly Tuesday meetings is that they're usually attended by at least 2 of the Big Ten's crew chiefs every week. We have also been blessed with ocassional visits from officials from the NFL (like Ritchie Reels, Jerry Markbreit and Don Hake) along with members of those Big Ten and Gateway Conference crews. One of our ranks has actually "made it" and is going to be umping in "The League" this fall and I think that we're all proud of Tony!

You guys hit on just about everything that we've been taught by the "big boys". I don't know if you had expert advice, or you've just fallen into good, solid habits with years of experience (probably both). Nevertheless, I've picked up at least two good ideas that I'll use this fall.

One comment though... I don't think that the ump on a five-man (or larger) crew should blow his whistle unless it's absolutely positively necessary! Remember that we don't end the play, the players do! ...and umpires should never "end the play". I've heard this drilled into my thick skull at least once a week during the season by the best of the best.

One other tip that helps during the time of the game when time is of the essence:

To save time, work with your linesmen on ball spots in hurry-up situations. Normally, you take your spot from the closest linesman. Well, when you're running around trying to get the ball back into play, you could save a valuable second or even two, if you ask your linesmen to mirror each other on EVERY play during a 2-Minute Drill. This way, you don't always have to spend time turning to face the nearest line-guy. You can just spot 'n' go!

Peace everyone - and have a great season!