Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
Am I right or am I right?
That would seem to depend on what your objective was. If it was to solidify and support all your considerable and consistent hard work to establish yourself as an obstinant, niggling child locked into single-mindedness, I'd say you are progressing famously towards your objective.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
How I wish mixing dots and dashes or using too many words were my biggest mistakes, or flaws.
OMG I don't even want to know what you have that is worse! (how's that for sarcasm?)

Quote:
I learned long ago that, "getting in the last word" is usually greatly overrated and anyone can always have the last word, but doing so just doesn't mean a whole lot, especially when the subject doesn't amount to very much.
Now if you would ony use that knowledge.

Quote:
or you could add something worthwhile, that pertains to the original question, or you could just conclude you have nothing of any value
to offer. Trust me, you won't be the first to reach that conclusion.
You may begin at any time.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Al, what was wrong with simply saying "that's right, rules use dashes and case book plays use dots"? Why did you have to write three paragraphs full of snotty comments instead? Are you that small of a person?
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
OMG I don't even want to know what you have that is worse! (how's that for sarcasm?)
Here's a hint: ...loud fart in church....
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, can we try to stay on topic here and stick to helping Brandon understand the eligible/ineligible issue?

He has had the good sense to come here to seek help - lets not put him off.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Kincer
Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Guys, can we try to stay on topic here and stick to helping Brandon understand the eligible/ineligible issue?

He has had the good sense to come here to seek help - lets not put him off.
Thank you With_Two_Flakes. If you guys wanna argue please PM each other.

Now in an attempt to get back on topic, Where is illegal touching enforced from? in the NF rule book it says the "basic spot". Would this be a loose ball foul and be enforced from the previous spot? or is it the succeeding spot since the play becomes a running play after the ball is caught and secured by the ineligible? Also if an ineligible catches the ball, is the play blown dead or is it still live until the ineligible is tackled or reaches the end zone? (I feel I know the answer to my last question I just want to be sure.)

Last edited by Brandon Kincer; Tue May 12, 2009 at 02:15am.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
Thank you With_Two_Flakes. If you guys wanna argue please PM each other.

Now in an attempt to get back on topic, Where is illegal touching enforced from? in the NF rule book it says the "basic spot". Would this be a loose ball foul and be enforced from the previous spot? or is it the succeeding spot since the play becomes a running play after the ball is caught and secured by the ineligible? Also if an ineligible catches the ball, is the play blown dead or is it still live until the ineligible is tackled or reaches the end zone? (I feel I know the answer to my last question I just want to be sure.)
Hopefully you will quickly learn who you can learn from and who you should ignore.

Now onto your questions.

Illegal touching is handled under all but one principle. Illegal touching by an ineligible will always be a loose ball play. If an ineligible illegally touches a pass behind the line of scrimmage, it is enforced from the spot of the foul. If ahead of the line, it is enforced from the previous spot.

Illegal touching does not cause the ball to become dead. NO live ball foul causes the ball to become dead.

And may I offer a suggestion? If you have other questions other than what the original post was about, you will likely get more responses by starting a new thread.

Last edited by mikesears; Tue May 12, 2009 at 08:32am. Reason: Additonal Details.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

You guys are right, my apologies.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears View Post
Hopefully you will quickly learn who you can learn from and who you should ignore.

Now onto your questions.

Illegal touching is handled under all but one principle. Illegal touching by an ineligible will always be a loose ball play. If an ineligible illegally touches a pass behind the line of scrimmage, it is enforced from the spot of the foul. If ahead of the line, it is enforced from the previous spot.

Illegal touching does not cause the ball to become dead. NO live ball foul causes the ball to become dead.

And may I offer a suggestion? If you have other questions other than what the original post was about, you will likely get more responses by starting a new thread.
Thanks for the tip. Ill keep that in mind when asking questions. I was pretty sure it WASN'T blown dead but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
You guys are right, my apologies.
Apology accepted No harm, No foul
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 02:37pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
Thanks for the tip. Ill keep that in mind when asking questions. I was pretty sure it WASN'T blown dead but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again.
Brandon,
Let me jump right in! So you don't get off on the wrong foot, there is no situation in NFHS football where a penalty causes the ball to become dead or "blown dead" as you stated.

Source: Football Fundamental IX. 1) No live ball foul causes the ball to become dead.

While this is not the case in other codes of football, it is most certainly the case in NFHS.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

maybe this has already been mentioned....

becuase of the previous pissing match, I glazed over many of the posts...As a wing, if a player is covered up, I say the number of the covered up player, aloud to myself, to remind me to be aware of: 1. If the play begins as a pass, I locate that covered up player, and 2: when ball is passed over the neutral zone, will throw the flag if he is downfield.
While this forum is of great value to all officials, finding a mentor, talking his ear off while treating him to a meal, is of greater value still. Most experienced officials would love to take an eager, open official under their wing.
Good luck,
tro
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
Brandon,
Let me jump right in! So you don't get off on the wrong foot, there is no situation in NFHS football where a penalty causes the ball to become dead or "blown dead" as you stated.

Source: Football Fundamental IX. 1) No live ball foul causes the ball to become dead.

While this is not the case in other codes of football, it is most certainly the case in NFHS.
But according to discussions here, play is to be whistled dead when it becomes clear a hideout play is in progress, although it's treated otherwise as if it were a dead ball foul.

Robert in the Bronx
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocared View Post
becuase of the previous pissing match, I glazed over many of the posts...As a wing, if a player is covered up, I say the number of the covered up player, aloud to myself, to remind me to be aware of: 1. If the play begins as a pass, I locate that covered up player, and 2: when ball is passed over the neutral zone, will throw the flag if he is downfield.
While this forum is of great value to all officials, finding a mentor, talking his ear off while treating him to a meal, is of greater value still. Most experienced officials would love to take an eager, open official under their wing.
Good luck,
tro
Thanks for the encouragement, What exactly is a covered up player?
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

By "covered up", he means someone on the line with an eligible number who is supposed to be on the end of the line. But they are not on the end of the line because someone out wide, who should be off the line has messed up and is on the line and therefore "covering him up".

Example:- Formation should be,

but #84 messes up and it actually is

so #82 is "covered up" because of #84's mistake.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 08:56pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
What exactly is a covered up player?
Most commonly applied to the normally eligible TE where the SE or Flanker is on the line of scrimmage along side him

i.e. SE TGCGT TE FL

the flanker has "covered up" the TE in this formation, thus making him a lineman.
As long as he doesn't go downfield (expanded neutral zone) on a pass beyond the NZ or its a running play, he's legal. A power running team will line up like this all night with no problem.

To be legally downfield, the formation would need to be thus-

SE TGCGT TE
FL

now the TE is on the end of the line and eligible.

Covered up can also happen when a slot receiver lines up incorrectly on the LOS with the end.

SE FL TGCGT TE