The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Utah Utes Line Shift

Surely someone saw the Utah Bama game where Utah had a 4th and 1. I was at a bar so I couldn't hear any explanations given. The qb was under center with the o-linemen in a 2 pt stance. At the same time all of the o-linemen "shifted" inside causing Bama to jump offsides. Again, I couldn't hear any explanation but the flag was thrown against Utah.

What was illegal?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Did they simulate action at the snap?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Did they simulate action at the snap?
Is that rhetorical or are you asking?

What is the definition of simulating action? They certainly shifted "hard" which I guess could be a simulation of action.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I saw the game and still never understood why the penality was called, I dont officiate football but would like to know why a shift is permitted in some instances and not others????? Utes Deserve strong consideration for #1 after that victory IMOHO!!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 11:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Surely someone saw the Utah Bama game where Utah had a 4th and 1. I was at a bar so I couldn't hear any explanations given. The qb was under center with the o-linemen in a 2 pt stance. At the same time all of the o-linemen "shifted" inside causing Bama to jump offsides. Again, I couldn't hear any explanation but the flag was thrown against Utah.

What was illegal?
What was the purpose of everyone shifting?

To the officials and the defense it was too much like simulating a snap. False start.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
What was the purpose of everyone shifting?

To the officials and the defense it was too much like simulating a snap. False start.
I'm not a football official so let me ask this. Would it be illegal in and of itself for an o-lineman in a 2 pt stance to shift one step in towards the center?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I didn't see the play in question so this is a generic description of the foul.

It was 4th and 1. The line was in a two-point stance and then shifted 'hard' into a three-point stance. If they hadn't used this type of shift at any other point in the game it's easy to surmise that the only reason for employing it in this situation was to draw the defense off-sides. If that's the case then Utah should have called for the false start.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What was illegal?
Also, part of this may have had to do with whether the did this 'every play' or did they just do it on a 4th and short situation. This probably entered into the official's decision on whether this was meant to draw the defense off sides.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not a football official so let me ask this. Would it be illegal in and of itself for an o-lineman in a 2 pt stance to shift one step in towards the center?
Yes they can shift, but there are restrictions. Read below.

"A false start occurs if a player commits a shift or feigned charge simulating action at the snap, if any player’s act is clearly intended to cause the defender(s) to encroach....If the offensive team executes a shift in such a manner that simulates action at the snap, the foul is a false start and not an illegal shift... When linemen or backs initially set in an upright position or hands-on-knees position and then drop into a three- or four-point stance for their final position, the action results in a false start if it is done in a manner that simulates action at the snap. Such action must be slow and deliberate."
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I was definitely the correct call, and an easy one at that. They could have got the QB for a head bob, (which it was big time) and the entire line moved very abruptly, simulating the snap. Easy, and correct call at any level of FB.

I DVR'd the play. It is interesting that as the H goes back to his sideline and it is now 4-1 (2:19 on the clock) the head coach comes over and has a conversation with him. They actually show a closeup of them and he appears to be telling him what they are going to do. That call was an absolute no brainer call for a FS. The coach knew he was trying to pull a fast one, and that is why he tried to tell the official. Just cuz he does that does not mean the call will go his way. I'm sure the H went back to him and said, there is no other way we can call that but a FS. He is going to complain, but he knows he is technically fouling with what they are doing, he is just hoping the call will go there way.

BTW, this was the only time all game that they did this "shift." It was 4-1 with just over 2 minutes til 1/2 time, on the 45 yard line, and the shift was very abrupt and obvious. Even the talking heads said "that was a designed play to try and draw Alabama offsides... a sudden move by the offense to try to draw the defense offsides."
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2ice View Post
I saw the game and still never understood why the penality was called, I dont officiate football but would like to know why a shift is permitted in some instances and not others????? Utes Deserve strong consideration for #1 after that victory IMOHO!!
Humm, a fan (from Utah) saying "I don't know why a shift is permitted in some instances and not others" when the call (and the correct call) went against his team.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not IF he did not have a hand near the ground AND did so in a slow and deliberate manner. That is not what happened.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

What bothered me about that play was did they (Utah) ever do this during the regular season AND get away with it?? No question, I had my hankie flying at my TV as soon as I saw the play unfold. Classic attempt to draw in defense over.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely Illegal

I have watched Utah all year, and I haven't seen them do this.

It was definitely designed to draw the defense off-sides.

Easy call!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I called this once this year in a HS game and got grilled by the HC. I asked him, why did your line shift that way? Not sure I ever got an answer....