The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:45pm
Chain of Fools

NFL sidelines- maroon shirt/officials cap- who is it?

This season, I've noticed an official on the sideline at NFL games, usually near the chains. He wears a maroon shirt (or in the case of today's Steelers/Titans game, a maroon jacket) and a regular striped NFL officials cap. I think the socks look to be regular college/HS pattern but don't recall for sure.

I know the NFL doesn't use alternates until the playoffs. I've thought maybe he is the ECO like the SEC but he holds nothing in his hands from what I've seen.

Someone on Ed Hoculi's son's board said it was the person who oversees the kicking balls but again, I've never seen any of them hold anything or actually DO anything in the tv shots I've seen.

Anybody know what kind of gig this is? Doesn't look horribly taxing.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

It sounds a whole lot like the "red hat" for the game. This is the TV Timeout Coordinator who signalls for media timeouts. Many of them are stationed at the 20 yard line at either end of the field. But the NFL may require them to be with the chain crew. Im just guessing that by the color scheme. The ball boys have vests I believe with a big K for the guy who gets the kicking balls I believe.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:37am
Chain of Fools

I always thought the t.v. guy wore the day-glo orange gloves over his arms. Maybe they've toned it down some

There are also yellow hat guys and neon green hat guys. I know one of them handles the communication apparatus for the booth and the coaches and the two helmets on the field but I don't recall which color does what job. The maroon shirt guys seem to be a new addition.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2008812140344

Last edited by HLin NC; Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 11:49am.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

They are the Kicking Ball Coordinators, one assigned to each venue…
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

The maroon shirt is the kicking ball guy. At least in St. Louis, they pick up the officials at the hotel and take them to the stadium. At the stadium they take possession of the kicking balls and supervise the ball boys wiping them down before the game. Each K ball is numbered and they stay in the maroon shirt's possession during the game. They are responsible to make sure only approved K balls go in.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I always thought the t.v. guy wore the day-glo orange gloves over his arms. Maybe they've toned it down some
I'm pretty sure the TV guy still wears the orange gloves--they look like fluorescent kitchen mits. I've been to many college games and yet to see them miss the 'red hat.' I guess the NFL just wants to make sure it does not miss any of its almight commercials.