The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

no pass interference on punts?

the rams lined up to punt, but the punter passed the ball instead, and one of the bears clearly knocked down the receiver before the ball got there. they said there is no flag for pass interference because in a punt formation, it is legal to knock down the receiver. how can this be? if this is true, they need to get the information out to punt coverage teams that if they fake it, just wait for the ball to go in the air and then just tackle the receiver. this is one of those rules that not many know about i think.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

first i am a bears fan.

i saw the play. yes the ref said "pi not on punts". never heard before.

the funny part was from brian baldinger "he must catch the ball".
not so easy when your legs get pulled away.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
From NFL.com

Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.

For PackerFTW - Packer.com - A Gathering Place For Packer Fans
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules have something similar. It is not pass interference: When a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation,
simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep, and
contact by a Team B player occurs.

The reason for this and for the NFL rule is that the defender is at a disadvantage because he don't know if the ball is pass or indeed kicked.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Raise your hand if you knew this rule before yesterday.

I didn't. 30 years of watching football, I'd never heard of it.

I have the video, I'll make a clip of it so you can see. The play was one thing, but the referee didn't exactly go all Ed Hochuli in his explanation. It was one of the least-effective referee explanations I've ever seen. Just strange.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Bears fan also. New rule on me as well. But I don't see how this NCAA rule would apply: "When a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep, and contact by a Team B player occurs." There was nothing thrown high nor did it seem to me that there was any intent to disguise the throw as a kick.

"Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called...." and it sure looked like to me that it should have been. Contact was clearly early, the receiver couldn't have been mistaken for a blocker, and the contact was from the middle of the field out to the sideline. It certainly seems like this was something the crew should have gotten.

Actually, for once this season, I actually got to watch some NFL football and I couldn't believe the number of times in the two games I watched (Bears and Giants) that the officials picked up a flag. And the explanations of penalties of the crew that did the Bears were lousy all game I thought.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, they struggled. McAulay (that's who it was, right?) is no Ronald Reagan.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

so the only penalty that can't be called is defensive pass interference, and this is because the defense would normally be blocking, and may not see that it's a pass, therefor keeps blocking as usual? and this can only happen with the outside guys (i think called gunners in a punt formation)? so if the tight end goes out for a pass, it can be DPI?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

To avoid any unnecessary confusion with the NFHS code, (NF:7.5.7) "Pass interference restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone and only if the pass, untouched by B in or behind the NZ, crosses the neutral zone.

(NF:7.5.10.a) "It is pass interference if: (a) Any player of A or B who is beyond the NZ interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass."
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

That's on a legal forward pass, right?

BTW, here's the play in question:

32MB version | 5 MB version
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut View Post
Bears fan also. New rule on me as well. But I don't see how this NCAA rule would apply: "When a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep, and contact by a Team B player occurs." There was nothing thrown high nor did it seem to me that there was any intent to disguise the throw as a kick.

I didn't say this rule was the same in the NFL. I was just wanting to point out that the NCAA has a similar rule. The "high and deep" part of the NCAA rule is not defined in the rule book so that is open to the ruling officials judgement as to what he thinks is "high and deep".
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

from larry mayer cb.com

Quote:
That was certainly an interesting play, and I have to give both Corey Graham and referee Terry McAulay credit for being right on top of an unusual rule: Pass interference cannot be called on a fake punt in that situation. I could be wrong, but I believe it is a rule that was instituted to counter something that former Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan instructed his players to do back when he was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. Ryan would have his punter take the snap and throw the ball high and deep down the field. Players on the punt return team would block the gunners all the way down the field, thinking it was a punt. But because it was a pass, they would be penalized for illegal contact. Pretty tricky, huh?
before my time. since 1989.

but
high and deep = every pass
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
To avoid any unnecessary confusion with the NFHS code, (NF:7.5.7) "Pass interference restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone and only if the pass, untouched by B in or behind the NZ, crosses the neutral zone.

(NF:7.5.10.a) "It is pass interference if: (a) Any player of A or B who is beyond the NZ interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass."
right, and apparently nobody is eligible in a punt formation. so wouldn't it be illegal touching then when you fake a punt and pass? confusing.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
right, and apparently nobody is eligible in a punt formation. so wouldn't it be illegal touching then when you fake a punt and pass? confusing.
In which code? I thought the ends were eligible at least in the NFL. What are the rules in NCAA and NFHS?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
In which code? I thought the ends were eligible at least in the NFL. What are the rules in NCAA and NFHS?
Both NCAA and NFHS, ends and backs with eligible numbers are eligible. Yes, Virginia, even on punts.

In NFHS, and I'm sure NCAA there's some additional rules about scrimmage kick formations but I'll spare you the details unless you really want them.