The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Seeking help from whitehats...

I'm seeking some advice from those of you who have already had to make this decision.

I have been thinking for a long time about making the move to R (2 years at L and then the last 11 at B), and I had told myself that I would make the move once I was assigned a state chamionship game. Well, that happened a couple of years ago but I just never did go ahead and make the move.

The problem is that I am really happy with the games that I am getting right now and I really don't want to give that up to go back to the bottom of the barrel again (or back to the cane fields, as it's referred to here) - not to mention I really enjoy working with the crew that I do, but that would have to change also, but at the same time I work more and more sub-varsity games at R and it really appeals to me.

How have some of y'all dealt with making this decision?

Last edited by RMR; Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 12:02am.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

That is a big delema. Why would you go to the bottom of the barrel if you go to another crew? I can see going back a little bit, but if you are solid, and the crew you go to is solid, I would think it would be a small step back for a year or two, then back to normal.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a way for you to fill in as R on other games on days you aren't working? What about on your own crew when the R is out? In my chapter, it seems all you have to do to white hat is use the term, Referee, within 500 miles of the secretary! Seriously, we tell our guy we want to R and he'll put us somewhere in that position. For some reason, we just don't have a lot of guys that 1) have the interest to be R and 2) the secretary trusts to handle the game.

I realize you may acquire games differently than we do, but open up the conversation with someone. It certainly won't hurt.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

in our association it is sort of split the way it works.

You can choose to work together as a crew (we have everything from 2 guys up to 5 guys who work together) or you can choose not to work with a crew - and for those who do get assigned as crews - guys will rotate on and off an a per game basis if that makes sense.

There are four of us that try to work together as much as possible (U, L, H and B) - and we have been getting a different R each week. I may talk to the other guys about trying to work with them as their R and finding a new B, BUT I don't think that it would be fair to them to ask them to start over with me if that makes sense.

Since we are assigned through the association, I wouldn't have to worry too much about getting games, so that isn't really a consideration - it's the quality of games, and yeah I know that is pretty selfish on my part, but it is a definite consideration for me.

And I would almost certainly go a couple of seasons without a playoff assignment and that would be really hard.

ETA: And it pretty much works here like you said - If I tell the assignment secretary that I want to whitehat some games, then I would get assigned some.

Last edited by RMR; Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 12:03am.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I faced the same dilemma a couple of years ago. After working 7 years with relatively the same crew (had a couple different HLs) I had to decide, white hat or stay with the guys. It was really difficult but I made the switch to white hat, and am very glad I did. Now I've got ' my own guys', and I still hang out with the old crew after games at the local hangout.

Yes, I had to go to the bottom of the proverbial barrel again. But my many great years at BJ were not forgotten. They can't take those from you. I may be a young white hat, but still have tons of experience. It may take a few years at white hat to start getting the games you deserve, but it will happen. Unfortunately, seniority is very huge around here. I still receive playoff games at BJ, but I'm hoping this year will be the first white hat game I receive in the playoffs. If not, oh well, my time will come.

So my advice, go ahead and make the jump. Seems like you've hit the pinnacle as BJ, now try for the same thing at R. It was the best decision I've ever made.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

My decision was similar to yours. We do not work crews, but by exclusive position. I had been the #1 rated L for several years and received many play-off and championship games because of that. It wound up being a decision for the association/chapter for me than rather than a personal one. We needed someone to step up to the position. We lost a couple of WH due to relocation and had a couple that were going to retiring with in a year or two. The timing was just right for me – I stepped back in the pecking order for those two years but jumped to up to 1-2 @ R as soon as those guys retired.

Some people see WH as a status symbol. I think we need great officials at every position and no position rates above the other. You are obviously highly rated in your current position and should not feel selfish for remaining where you have earned that respect. Work some JV games at WH, take a look at the quality/age of WH’s in your association and ultimately, your knees will tell when to make the move!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, you've already done a lot of R at subvarsity levels so you know that you like it and that is not an issue.

Going from BJ or any other position to R is like going from asst. coach to head coach and I've done that too. There is a huge difference. The responsibility is on you. Trust me, there are very few non-R's who know the rules well and you will be expected to be the expert so don't expect much help. You will be the leader of the "team" and that can be very rewarding. Experience at all of the positions will also be valuable to you so when I do subvarsity games, I like to do the other positions to keep sharp in all areas. All eyes will be on you and you must be ready for the responsibility.

You have to be the judge of whether the move matches your goals and if you will be enjoying officiating just as much if not more.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

It seems like you are answering your own question. You are getting great assignments. You love working with this crew. So long as you are physically able to continue at your present position, I would think long and hard before making the move.

I made that move 4 years ago and it has worked out great for one reason. The guys on my new crew are awesome. If you have worked on a crew that doesn't have fun together you know what I mean. My old crew got great games, but there was not good chemistry. We did not even eat together after the games.

The other important thing to consider is that Ref position is not as physically active as BJ, LJ, L. I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that I'm not all over the field like I used to be as a wing. I initially found it confining and frustrating.

In the end, if you are working with great guys, it may be better to stay where you are and wait out your turn on your own crew. Good luck with this tough decision.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
The other important thing to consider is that Ref position is not as physically active as BJ, LJ, L. I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that I'm not all over the field like I used to be as a wing.
I think I would disagree with that statement. I cover more distance as a White Hat than I do as HL or LJ. I have to be prepared to work sideline to sideline. If a play goes OOB or into a sidezone, I am the 2nd man there, who else can be? If we are lucky enough to have a BJ, he too should work sideline to sideline, but any play that makes negative yards or small positive yards, again I am the 2nd man there.