The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin Playoffs-mechanics

I saw a game last night on Fox Sports North of a Wisc. high school playoff game. Racine Park vs. someone else. Observations\Questions for those of you from Wisc.

1) White hat mechanics--This white hat spotted the ball on almost every play while the umpire went to his postion. He also blew the ready for play (and wound the clock, if necessary) while he was walking to his position with his back to his partners and the line of scrimmage.

2) Wings never squared off when spotting the ball at the end of a play. They ran diagonally right to the spot--in addition they (both) almost always came to the middle of the field and got the ball from the players.

3) All officials wore their flags in their back pocket with half the flag sticking out. Looked as if they were ready to fall out as they were running.

4) Back judge had a long-sleeve shirt\coat on. The other four officials were wearing short-sleeve shirts with black sweatshirts underneath. Is this an acceptable uniform in Wisc?

Their management of the game appeared fine, but it was very hard to take them serious because of the lack of mechanics and appearance. This game was televised all over the midwest (I am in North Dakota). It also seemed like each one was working their position for the first time--are these "all-star" crews?

Hate to be overly critical (probably too late), but just my observations watching a game late on a Saturday night.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef View Post
I saw a game last night on Fox Sports North of a Wisc. high school playoff game. Racine Park vs. someone else. Observations\Questions for those of you from Wisc.

1) White hat mechanics--This white hat spotted the ball on almost every play while the umpire went to his postion. He also blew the ready for play (and wound the clock, if necessary) while he was walking to his position with his back to his partners and the line of scrimmage.

2) Wings never squared off when spotting the ball at the end of a play. They ran diagonally right to the spot--in addition they (both) almost always came to the middle of the field and got the ball from the players.

3) All officials wore their flags in their back pocket with half the flag sticking out. Looked as if they were ready to fall out as they were running.

4) Back judge had a long-sleeve shirt\coat on. The other four officials were wearing short-sleeve shirts with black sweatshirts underneath. Is this an acceptable uniform in Wisc?

Their management of the game appeared fine, but it was very hard to take them serious because of the lack of mechanics and appearance. This game was televised all over the midwest (I am in North Dakota). It also seemed like each one was working their position for the first time--are these "all-star" crews?

Hate to be overly critical (probably too late), but just my observations watching a game late on a Saturday night.
Interesting observations. I know an officials in Wisconsin so I'll ask him. I'm a ND native so I would love to catch up with on ND football. I see you don't accept PMs but could you send me a message?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I am a first year official in Southeast Wisconsin (Milwaukee) where this game was actually played. I caught a brief bit of it on the replay on Friday night (the game was originally played Tuesday), but I also did notice that flags were in the back pocket, and that everyone I saw had a longsleeve black shirt underneath their stripes. I checked on the state association website who the crew chief was, but did not recognize the names.

About the longsleeve shirts, I'm sure that was up to the crew chief. But the state has no adaptations to the uniform code than what is in the NFHS manual. All it says in the WIAA website is that all must dress alike (which apparently they did not.) I was told at my beginning officials clinic that wearing jackets in WI is frowned upon, and should be long sleeve only.

I don't believe these are "All-Star" crews. Before the season, each crew chief submits availability to the state for playoff games, and I'm assuming he lists his entire crew. Then between rating cards and personal observation, they are assigned playoff games.

So those are my $.02 about it.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef View Post

I am a crew chief in Wisconsin. All I can do is answer what *my* crew does:

(1) I touch the ball as little as possible. I am always in my position, 12-15 yards behind the line of scrimmage and wide when giving the RFP. If I wind the clock, I do it with the arm facing the press box. Twice. If the umpire has to retrieve a ball downfield, I will spot it, but we normally try to get a new ball in on these situations. If I spot it, I hustle back to my position before blowing it in.

(2) My wings square off and I only want them inside the hash marks if we need a spot or if there's an incident where they're presence is needed. Either the BJ or the R will move the ball in to the umpire.

(3) Flag in waist, one tucked deep in back pocket for me. Crew is consistent here.

(4) My crew does not wear coats. My crew does not wear shorts. If one is in long sleeves, we all are. Nobody EVER wears long sleeve undergarments under short-sleeved shirts. That said, I do see the things you mention on the TV highlights and think "How bush (league)."

These are NOT all-star crews. Crews are assigned games by crew chief based on availability, coaches ratings, and who knows what else.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics is what gets noticed by knowledgable officials and I feel they are VERY IMPORTANT. What you noticed is not how we do it, but some do not take mechanics seriously, unfortunate as that may be.