The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

chop block

I was watching a DI game on TV Saturday. The R announced the flag on the last play was for an "illegal chop block." I know in NF a chop block is never legal. Is there any time it is legal in NCAA?

Just curious....thanks.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 12:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

He may have done that for the audience as well considering many people consider all low blocks "chops" or "cuts".
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
I was watching a DI game on TV Saturday. The R announced the flag on the last play was for an "illegal chop block." I know in NF a chop block is never legal. Is there any time it is legal in NCAA?

Just curious....thanks.
REPLY: No. A chop block by definition (2-3-3) is defined to include only those combination blocks that are illegal. Any combination block that's legal will not be called a chop block. So the R in the game you watched was being repetitively redundant.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

That said, I can't count the number of high school coaches who think that every low block is an illegal block, and scream about them constantly from the sidelines ...
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I also think, that by definition, a chop block only occurs in the free blocking zone.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
I also think, that by definition, a chop block only occurs in the free blocking zone.
No a chop block is not confined to the free blocking zone....I called one downfield a couple seasons ago...about 15 yrds down field....they are ugly and I wish that the HFHS would go to the college rule (pre 2008) and any combination block that included a low block...ie low high, high low, and low low as opposed to only penalizing if the 2nd block is low...the NCAA this year took out the low low combination block from the chop definition.....
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
I wish that the HFHS would go to the college rule (pre 2008) and any combination block that included a low block...ie low high, high low, and low low as opposed to only penalizing if the 2nd block is low...the NCAA this year took out the low low combination block from the chop definition.....
Don't you see any physiologic reason for distinguishing the combination and order? Low and then high, although it may be a difficult thing for the official to distinguish from high and then low, is no more dangerous to the knees than any low block alone.

Robert
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 10:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post

Just curious....thanks.
Any combination in NCAA is by definition a chop block. No high-low block period. NCAA changed that rule this year.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
No a chop block is not confined to the free blocking zone....I called one downfield a couple seasons ago...about 15 yrds down field....they are ugly and I wish that the HFHS would go to the college rule (pre 2008) and any combination block that included a low block...ie low high, high low, and low low as opposed to only penalizing if the 2nd block is low...the NCAA this year took out the low low combination block from the chop definition.....

Then you called it incorrectly. By definition a chop block can only occur in the FBZ. Anywhere else and it's just a BBW.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Then you called it incorrectly. By definition a chop block can only occur in the FBZ. Anywhere else and it's just a BBW.
Pretty sure he's talking about calling it in a college game. And a chop block is illegal anywhere on the field in college.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Any combination in NCAA is by definition a chop block. No high-low block period. NCAA changed that rule this year.

Peace

REPLY: That's not quite true, Jeff. A simultaneous high-low or low-high block by adjacent linemen in the neutral zone is still legal in NCAA.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: That's not quite true, Jeff. A simultaneous high-low or low-high block by adjacent linemen in the neutral zone is still legal in NCAA.
Bob, this is a new rule change for this year. No more high low blocks not matter if there is a delay or not.

I believe the NFL did the same thing with this kind of block.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Jeff, I'm sorry. You're right. I was inadvertently referencing the 2007 rule book. Thanks for catching that. One thing to note however: The "low" component is at the thigh or below--not the knee.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 12:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: Jeff, I'm sorry. You're right. I was inadvertently referencing the 2007 rule book. Thanks for catching that. One thing to note however: The "low" component is at the thigh or below--not the knee.
No big deal, I only knew it was a rule because one association I belong to talks about college rules all the time. I only work a JV game or two and I am a deep wing. I almost never see this play.

Peace