The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

The chop block. How its called VS how its written:
by rule, player B must be engaged above the waist by A1 and A2 must deliver a DELAYED block BELOW the waist. The argument is made that it is just as dangerous for the initial block to be low and the second player to "come over the top". This arguement comes up every preseason in New Mexico. Does player safety override the wording of rules 2.3.9 and 9.3.6?
Your thoughts please.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, there's no comparison.

The greater risk of injury is created by the lower block. When the player is engaged above the waist, he has no way to defend against the low block. The blocker has him straight up and the knees are wide open.

When the lower block is delivered first, the greatest risk of injury is now over. The block above the waist is very unlikely to cause any injury.

As far as how it's called versus how it's written, I've never seen a low-high block called a chop block.
Old Sun Aug 25, 2002, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Tough one to call.

A few meetings ago we were discussing the chop block rules. One of our referees said that if the A1 blocks B1 high and A2 blocks B1 low and both blocks are simultaneous, don't call a foul. If A2 delays his low block then you have a chop block foul.

I agree that a delayed block at the knees or below is definitely more likely to result in serious injury. B1 has probably locked his knees and his cleats are digging into the turf when he is engaged with A1. If A2 blocks B1 at knee level from the side there is a greater risk of knee injury.

I can see in certain situations a simultaneous block can also result in injury but in most of these cases B1 is probably still driving his legs and moving his feet immediately after the snap so there is less chance of A2 getting a shot at his locked knees.

Gosh, this is a tough call but like all penalties the obvious ones will come screaming at you.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

NCAA

The chop block rule was expanded in NCAA a few years back. It now includes certain low-high blocks, i.e. 1. if by 2 non-adjacent lineman, with or without a delay, in the NZ 2. if by any 2 offensive players, with or without a delay, when initial contact is clearly beyond the NZ.