The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Two KCI plays

Hadn't had a KCI in...well, I can't remember the last one. White hat said he hadn't had one all year and we had two in the second half of a recent game.

First one on the kickoff to open the second half. Ball kicked high and short and fair caught. Return man gets leveled. Held onto the ball. Ball is dead by rule, correct? (I'll be prepared for this next time, but I was totally not expecting either the fair catch or the KCI, luckily while I was fumbling for my flag our U threw his from not too terribly far away.)

Second one later on a punt. No opportunity given to catch the ball, K player arrived just before the ball, kills returner, ball pops out.

Now...there was no fair catch on the second play, so the play's not dead, correct? K's not going to end up with the ball anyway (I don't think) because even if they get possession, R can make them re-kick, correct? But you don't blow that dead, just drop the flag and keep officiating, or what?

Just want to make sure. I wasn't prepared for either of these, but I sure as hell will be next time.

(BTW, R declined both fouls.)
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

How is the first play KCI and not simply a dead ball personal foul since the hit was after he caught the ball?

In the second play, you said the ball popped out. Did he catch it or not? Who recovered the ball? If R muffed, and K recovered the ball, the penalty would have to be accepted in order for K not to get the ball.

There's really no reason to decline a KCI foul since one option is to take an awarded FC at the spot. Was that option offered?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Oct 04, 2008 at 01:04am.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have a PF on the first play and KCI on the second.

The KCI is a live ball foul and the options are "R may accept a 15-yard penalty from the previous spot and a replay of the down or choose to accept the penalty of an awarded fair catch at the spot of the foul".
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

As well as accept the result of the play.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct. That is a dead ball personal foul on the first one and I believe we got that one wrong.

I am trying to get a copy of the game tape to look at the plays again.

And I still don't know why the second penalty was declined.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

For the second play give us some yard lines and perhaps we can see if declining the penalty was a good decision. But a coach may have not been listening and said, "We want the ball," and never listened to options about where he wanted the ball.