The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Straight from the mouth of a NFL official...

It is for the purpose of preventing outsiders using the actual uniform in commercials and such. Only the NFL can buy the Knickers with the stripe. Now commercials can't copy the uniform.
I think that's pretty well known since it was announced two years ago when the other changes were made.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I've been looking for that "announcement" for a while now, and haven't been able to find it, definitively.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
I've been looking for that "announcement" for a while now, and haven't been able to find it, definitively.
If I remember correctly, Periera said something about that on the Official Review segment on the NFL network the year the new shirts came out.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I remembered him downplaying that, but it wouldn't be the first time I remembered wrong.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

This story doesn't mention it, but also doesn't quote Pereira.

Quote:
Making a fashion statement was not the primary motivation behind the decision to make the change, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. First was the desire for a lightweight, more efficient fabric that would be cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather.

"The material of our shirts was very heavy, so everybody wanted a different material," said Walt Coleman, an NFL referee with 18 years' experience. "Everybody loves the material, and the shirts are really comfortable. I think everybody's just not totally sold on the style. My son said to me, 'I can't believe you're changing your shirts!'"

The second aim was to make the uniforms more easily accommodate the gear referees need to carry, Aiello said, which includes more layers of clothing in colder weather.

"The biggest reason we changed was to upgrade the performance quality of the uniform," he said. "The third reason was to give the uniforms a more modern, updated, distinctly NFL look."