The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA First/10 vs First/25

I'm just a fan, so I'll probably get the exact wording of this rule wrong: But, I seem to remember that the NCAA has a rule that says that on a play where the offense makes a first down and a dead ball personal foul on the offense occurs between the end of the play and the ready for play, it is first and ten rather than first and 25.

Now that there is no "ready for play" since the play clock starts immediately at the end of the play, what is the determining factor now as to whether it's first/ten or first/25?

Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

If a first down is made the ball is still marked RFP with a whistle, cuz that is when the game clock will start again. Therefor, it will still work the same, 1-10 if before the RFP, but 1-25 if after the RFP. The difference now is that the ball must be snapped in the 40 seconds after the ball became dead. That is the 40 second play clock, but not the game clock.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Remember, we had what some call an administrative officials timeout to deal with the penalty enforcement. As such, the play clock will be reset to 25 when the ball is finally spotted.