The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

x over

tight end covered by the X makes him ineligible, can the TE take a handoff ?
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 03:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murd
Anyone can take a handoff or backward pass. Being eligible is about receiving a forward pass, not taking a handoff.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I see no mention of X in my rule book.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Anyone can take a handoff or backward pass. Being eligible is about receiving a forward pass, not taking a handoff.
Unless it's in that specialized set of circumstances designed to keep the ball from being handed forward to a lineman during close line play. The different codes have different restrictions about that.

Robert
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

so a covered TE can get the ball on a end around?
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Covered, uncovered, doesn't matter. If a lineman has clearly come off the line and/or goes behind the player handing the ball, it's legal.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Anyone can take a handoff. Depending on location of a player there are some requirements to do so, but anyone can take a handoff in the backfield.

The problem is you are using very generic terms and not rulebook language. There are some here (including myself) are not sure what you really want to know. You seem new to this board and most here are officials. We do not use the term "X receiver."

Peace
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, he can. But he must meet the requirements that any other interior lineman would have to meet.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The problem is you are using very generic terms and not rulebook language. There are some here (including myself) are not sure what you really want to know. You seem new to this board and most here are officials. We do not use the term "X receiver."
Yeah, but it doesn't matter in this case whether the person knows the official terms or not. We understood "covered" to mean "took a position on the line closer to the sideline than", and "X" to mean "some teammate", which is all that mattered. (Actually, not even those details mattered!) It may be a problem in some cases, but don't make it a problem when it's not. And when it is a problem, some additional dialog can usually clear it up.

The coaches have it worse than the officials in that there's no universal meaning to much of their jargon. "X" has a different meaning to most coaches now from what it did 40 years ago, and it was never universal anyway. The letters in the back of the alphabet used to mean "primary receiver", "secondary receiver", etc. in order of passer's reads; lately it's become common to label the ends "X" & "Y", but when one coach talks to another various "gotchas" come up that vitiate that understanding.

Robert
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 08:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Yeah, but it doesn't matter in this case whether the person knows the official terms or not. We understood "covered" to mean "took a position on the line closer to the sideline than", and "X" to mean "some teammate", which is all that mattered. (Actually, not even those details mattered!) It may be a problem in some cases, but don't make it a problem when it's not. And when it is a problem, some additional dialog can usually clear it up.

The coaches have it worse than the officials in that there's no universal meaning to much of their jargon. "X" has a different meaning to most coaches now from what it did 40 years ago, and it was never universal anyway. The letters in the back of the alphabet used to mean "primary receiver", "secondary receiver", etc. in order of passer's reads; lately it's become common to label the ends "X" & "Y", but when one coach talks to another various "gotchas" come up that vitiate that understanding.

Robert
You just made my point. You just suggested that coaches do not have a universal language. Based on that knowledge I have, you would be surprised what coaches say that are not accurate to what they feel the rulebook. And that is the reason I did not go into more detail as to what the requirements are to get a handoff, because it is likely he would not understand if he was not an official. The best example of this was yesterday during a game I had a coach ask me and my umpire on the game about a "high-low" block. He was convinced it was illegal until it was fully explained to him. He thought that any high-low block was illegal. It has to be explained to him that the low block had to be delayed to have an illegal block or chop block as the rulebook states it is.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Most coaches call the split end the x reciever, TE is the Y and the flanker is the Z. When a team goes x over they bring the SE wide to the TE side to take the corner out of run support. The TE would be covered. I appreciate the help from the officials on the forum. getting a federation rule book is harder then hitting the lotto.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 10:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Most coaches call the split end the x reciever, TE is the Y and the flanker is the Z. When a team goes x over they bring the SE wide to the TE side to take the corner out of run support. The TE would be covered. I appreciate the help from the officials on the forum. getting a federation rule book is harder then hitting the lotto.
Well those terms are not in the rulebook. When you assume we understand coach speak, then you might not get the answer you are looking for. But the TE being covered has no bearing on this situation. This is not a forward pass we are talking about here.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes, he can. But he must meet the requirements that any other interior lineman would have to meet.
BBR- are you saying he must turn and face his goal line?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Actually, it might cost you a lot less than the lottery tickets.

http://www.nfhs.com/index.asp?cmd=sh...ory&param_0=64
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Every business has it's own unique language that may, or may not, be universally used, or understood, even within that business. Coaching and Officiating are in the same INDUSTRY, not the same BUSINESS and we each have our own different languages.

When talking to each other the ONLY common language that can assure we are speaking the same dialect, and mean the same thing is the language of the rule book.