The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Question starting position(s)

I'm doing my first game this week (tomorrow, actually) and just found out that I'm going to be the U for it. I was surprised at this since my impressions from people in my association was that I'd start at H or L.

I haven't found out yet why the R (and trainer) put me at U but was curious as to where others start their rookies and why.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

The U position is probably a good place for newbies. You will be able to focus on the game and how to "see" without being distracted by screaming coaches, coaches and players pushing you out on to the field, etc etc
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I started on the Wing. The logic behind that was that there was less coming at you all at once (such as 200lb Linebackers and Fullbacks)

As for starting at U, by advice is to make sure you don't get sucked into the line play. stay back a little and take in as much as possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svm1010
I started on the Wing. The logic behind that was that there was less coming at you all at once (such as 200lb Linebackers and Fullbacks)

As for starting at U, by advice is to make sure you don't get sucked into the line play. stay back a little and take in as much as possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I'm unsure what you mean by "getting sucked into the line play." I think you mean just make sure that's not all I'm watching and be aware of my other duties too, but can you clarify, please?
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
An experienced U told me this when I started.

If you see the running back coming straight for you - stand still. He'll make a move and go around you.

If you see the QB coming straight for you - pray. They'll run into you every time!
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Our crew will usually put rookies at U for a few reasons:
1. They do not have to interact with coaches.
2. They do not have to use their whistle, therefore, will not have an IW. (we usually smash their whistles into thousands of plastic bits in the parking lot before the game)
3. If they do get sucked in, they will get run over, and that makes great post game fodder.

Seriously, good luck in your game and have fun!
tro
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug
I'm unsure what you mean by "getting sucked into the line play." I think you mean just make sure that's not all I'm watching and be aware of my other duties too, but can you clarify, please?
When working the U the first couple of times (and the wing for that matter) I found myself wating to step forward towards the action to "get a better look" at what was going on and I would get so close I would be out of possition to make effective calls and ended up getting run into by the players more often than not. It wasn't till later that I learned a step back will improve your view of what is going on.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Our crew starts rookies at U for the reasons listed above by others.

Remember, let the wings determine when ball is dead. They have the best view, and can get an accurate spot. As umpire and somewhat as back judge I can go entire games without using my whistle, except on scrimmage kicks and free kicks.

Good advice to let RB run around you and not move, you will inevitably move directly into where he was planning on running.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Here in the UK, we generally favour starting rookies at U for all the reasons others have stated above. For me the major reason is that they are surrounded by the other experienced officials who can easily get to them to quietly offer help and advice.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In most places I know of here in Canada, you start as the HL. The thinking is to keep you away from the benches, as most new officials don't have any officiating knowledge. For some of those that do have officiating experience, do not know football well enough yet to handle the coaches properly. Our U job is different than the US umpire - I think the U here is responsible for more. That leaves the HL - which works out quite well. Managing the sticks isn't very difficult.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

My first game was a JV game and I worked the U. My training was mostly rules and very little mechanics and I didn't know any position any better than another.

On the 4th play, the HL came in to let me know part of my job was to spot the ball. You learn through experience!

I worked several positions that first year in sub-varsity and youth games and started at HL the following year when I joined a varisty crew. I took that position only because it was the opening the crew needed to fill. I think you can argue for just about any position (besides R).
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
I think you can argue for just about any position (besides R).
I agree that for one's first game ever being the referee probably isn't the best idea. But after a few games it is just another position. Basically in a underclass HS game the only additional duties of the referee is to blow the RFP and give the signals after a foul. I've seen guys try to make the referee's job seem extra important, but to me it is no different than working any other spot on the field.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

My first game ever, after one scrimmage, was varsity U. The R was a basketball partner of mine. They told me to not throw a flag or blow a whistle. That and some rule/case book reading and multiple tips on the ride to the game, was my pre-game training. It really won't take long to get the hang of it. Here's a quick tip, when walking off penalty yards, take 1-yard steps.

Mregor
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

I too am a rookie, and have worked only the wings so far (2 games). I worked U in a couple scrimmages. Based on my vast experience, here's a little gem: if you throw a flag, get his number.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I too am a rookie, and have worked only the wings so far (2 games). I worked U in a couple scrimmages. Based on my vast experience, here's a little gem: if you throw a flag, get his number.
Great advice mbyron...just wondering....what did it cost you?
cheers,
tro