The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I was curious....

Are there any states that do not use NFHS rules in football? This subject came up, in all places, at a VOLLEYBALL officials meeting...let me explain...

Here in New York state our hs volleyball does not use the NFHS rulebook - we use the NCAA book, with certain modifications; the same with our softball officials - we use the ASA (Amateur Softball Association) 18U rules...again with certain mods..

In both cases, the NY state high school association believes (justifiably so, IMO) that the NFHS rules simply do not prepare the kids well enough for the college level of each sport, rules wise..I was wondering if any place feels the same way about football....
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Are there any states that do not use NFHS rules in football? This subject came up, in all places, at a VOLLEYBALL officials meeting...let me explain...

Here in New York state our hs volleyball does not use the NFHS rulebook - we use the NCAA book, with certain modifications; the same with our softball officials - we use the ASA (Amateur Softball Association) 18U rules...again with certain mods..

In both cases, the NY state high school association believes (justifiably so, IMO) that the NFHS rules simply do not prepare the kids well enough for the college level of each sport, rules wise..I was wondering if any place feels the same way about football....
Yes, Texas and Massachusetts use NCAA. Some states modify NFHS rules a little. Not sure which ones though.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
In both cases, the NY state high school association believes (justifiably so, IMO) that the NFHS rules simply do not prepare the kids well enough for the college level of each sport, rules wise.
So what? Most of them won't play that sport in college. Come to think of it, HS volleyball doesn't prepare them adequately for college football, nor HS football for college volleyball, either, so why don't they just combine the rules into foot volleyball, and anyone who plays it at the HS level will be prepared for the same in college!

Come to think of it, the college rules probably don't prepare them well enough for the pros. And whatever rules they play in their AYF circuit don't prepare them for HS football.

Robert