The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Did I get this right?

Working a scrimmage yesterday, and I'm a rookie FB official.

I'm on the wing, and the receiver on my side jumps forward before the snap, but not into the neutral zone. I threw the flag and whistled it dead for false start.

It occurred to me afterward that this could have been IM, motion toward the line. But I reasoned that, since he had jumped, not merely stepped or rocked toward the line, he had made a motion simulating the snap and so false start was the right call.

Is that right? TIA.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I think you got it perfect. Nothing good would have happened by letting that go.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

I'm on the wing, and the receiver on my side jumps forward before the snap, but not into the neutral zone. I threw the flag and whistled it dead for false start.

It occurred to me afterward that this could have been IM, motion toward the line. But I reasoned that, since he had jumped, not merely stepped or rocked toward the line, he had made a motion simulating the snap and so false start was the right call.

Is that right? TIA.
Sounds like you got it. Any action by the offense that simulates the start of the play is a false start so missing the snap count is a false start.

Sometimes a coach may challenge you saying, "He is a wide-out....he can reset!" Unless he is asking a question, simply ignore it.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps not so much a wideout, but a setback "exploding" forward for one step, then turning into a legal motion pattern is likely doing so for the express purpose of inducing a false start by the defense, especially when there's "short yardage".

It's a move that can catch us by surprise, which is why it's a good idea for officials to converge, briefly discuss and agree on who the guilty party actually is on FS/Encroachment situations.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 11:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

CANADIAN RULING:

Legal.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Good call!!

There's nothing that receiver could have done to rectify the fact that he jumped; therefore, it is a foul before the snap. Shutting it down was the correct thing to do. Furthermore, any time you can shut the play down, I say do it. You'll know what I'm talking about the first time you call back a 75 yd TD run because of IM.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Good Call!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdave
There's nothing that receiver could have done to rectify the fact that he jumped; therefore, it is a foul before the snap. Shutting it down was the correct thing to do. Furthermore, any time you can shut the play down, I say do it. You'll know what I'm talking about the first time you call back a 75 yd TD run because of IM.
From your description it sounds as though the back jumped as if he missed the snap count or was anxious to go out for a pass.

Usually, a back who goes in motion will start in a deliberate motion. Then sometimes you will be a back who starts before the snap count and just kind of takes a stationary motion as if to say, I didn't really blow the snap count, I'm just getting an early start.

Give yourself a thumbs up on this one!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Did he simulate the start of the play or not? Only you can answer that question. If you saw it that "yes, he did" then you made the right call.
Oh, and welcome to the fraternity.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

When you see it you know they missed the snap count, and from what you are saying you saw, you got it right!! Nice job rookie!!!!