The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Rule 1-5-3 Illegal Equipment

ART. 3 . . . Illegal equipment. No player shall participate while wearing illegal equipment. This applies to any equipment, which in the opinion of the umpire is dangerous, confusing or inappropriate. Illegal equipment shall always include but is not limited to:

a. Ball-colored helmets, jerseys, patches, pads or gloves, penalty-marker colored pads or gloves. Any transverse stripe on the sleeve below the elbow.

PENALTY: Unsportsmanlike conduct (Arts. 2, 3, 5) – (S27) — 15 yards. See 9-8-1h. Failure to properly wear required equipment during a down (Art. 6) – (S27, S23) – 5 yards. See 3-6-2d for failure to properly wear required
equipment when the ball is about to become live.

Rule 3-6-2 Action or inaction which prevents promptness in putting the ball in play is delay of game. This includes:

d. Failure to properly wear legal or required player equipment when the ball is about to become live.

PENALTY: Delay of game – (Arts. 2a,b,c,e,f; 4) – (S7-21); (Art. 2d) – (S7-21-23) – 5 yards;

Rule 9-8-1 No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:

h. Failure of the head coach, following verification, to have his player(s) wear or use legal and/or required equipment.

PENALTY: Nonplayer fouls (Art. 1a through j) – (S27), (S7-27 if dead ball) – 15 yards.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 10:56pm
Chain of Fools

Thumbs up That's all I need to know! Thanks!

BANG

Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:04pm
Small Business Owner

No BBR once again you are incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So you're saying that the NFHS rule book does not tell us to eject players for not removing bicep bands but your state association feels strongly about this, feels it's not good for the game and has taken it upon themselves to take a stand against this?

That's all I need to know! Thanks!
No, BBR, once again you have misquoted me, just like you do on the NFHS webpage.
I gave up making childish attitude statements such as your "Thats all I need to know! Thanks" (listed above) when I reached puberty.
You do not attempt to engage in a discussion rather you find it necessary to slam anyone and everyone at will.
You have shown us all your acute abilty to copy and paste rules onto a thread! (Impressive to say the least)
You have the unique abilty to have an answer for everything yet a solution for none!
You are BBR, in the strongest sense of the term, a Legend in your own mind!
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
BANG

This is very interesting, HL. KWH has been busting on you, me and the NCHSAA through PM and posts because our state rep has followed his convictions and made a decision tha the A-11 is not good for high school football in the state of North Carolina.

Yet, when his state makes a similiar decision concerning illegal equipment, and that's alright. They're doing the right thing. Hmmm.

Then, when challenged on it, he deletes his post.

Wow.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH
No, BBR, once again you have misquoted me, just like you do on the NFHS webpage.
No partner, I didn't misquote you. In fact, I quoted your post which is fortunate since you deleted.

Quote:
I gave up making childish attitude statements such as your "Thats all I need to know! Thanks" (listed above) when I reached puberty.
You do not attempt to engage in a discussion rather you find it necessary to slam anyone and everyone at will.
Really? You mean like when you wrote, "Good luck in your season you arrogant a$$!" in a PM to me?

Quote:
You have shown us all your acute abilty to copy and paste rules onto a thread! (Impressive to say the least)
Thank you, I think. I notice that you copy and paste rules as well, so I'm unsure why that's an issue for you.

Quote:
You have the unique abilty to have an answer for everything yet a solution for none!
Never claimed to have a solution or an answer for every situation. But I don have opinions that I share from time to time. I thought that's what discussion forums are all about.

Quote:
So you gave up making childish attitude statements when you were in puberty, eh? It's a shame you didn't give up personal insults and name calling.

Say what you want but your state association has taken a stand on a situation that they feel is good for high school football in your state. So has mine. The best thing for you to do is get over it.

Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

I can honestly say that as a crew chief and referee, I will NOT be calling an USC on a player wearing arm bands. This is real simple. When you see it, tell the kid thats considered to be illegal equipment and they'll need to remove it. If they balk, tell the coach and this will fix the situation.

Here in Indiana, the coaches vote on post season assignments. Throwing an USC on something as trivial as this is a pretty good way to make sure you are sitting at home fro the first round of the play-offs.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth
I can honestly say that as a crew chief and referee, I will NOT be calling an USC on a player wearing arm bands. This is real simple. When you see it, tell the kid thats considered to be illegal equipment and they'll need to remove it. If they balk, tell the coach and this will fix the situation.

Here in Indiana, the coaches vote on post season assignments. Throwing an USC on something as trivial as this is a pretty good way to make sure you are sitting at home fro the first round of the play-offs.
Are there other rules the coaches ding you on when you enforce them?
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

The original question on this thread was, "Can the team get an USC penalty (for wearing armbands) or has this been changed. thanks". The absolute answer to that questions is "Yes", but the better question might have been SHOULD an USC penalty be assessed for wearing armbands, and that answer is not so universal.

Whether we each like it, or not, the NFHS rules identify this equipment as illegal and there is a prescribed penalty for playing with illegal equipment. They have decided the equipment poses a potential hazard, and it's their responsibility to render such judgments, not our's. However, equally important to our knowing the rules of the game is our judgment in knowing when to enforce them.

If a State Association, or a more localized Board, issued a specific modification or called special attention to this application of this rule, it seems logical to follow those instructions. However, as we've done for the last 100+ years we try and avoid the necessity of penalizing certain situations by what we call "preventive officiating", such as when we see a mouth piece dangling, or a chin strap unbuckled.

We're on the field for 30 minutes before each game, and inappropriate arm bands are pretty visible, even more so than prohibited knots tied under the armpits or on the back of jerseys. It seems a lot more productive to address this issue with the coaching staff before the game (emphasis on "address" rather than discuss) and prevent any subsequent oversight by refusing to allow any player, so equipped, from entering the game.

Those efforts should prevent 99.9% of the problems from occuring. If you find it necessary to apply the remedy proscribed by rule in the remaining 0.01%, it shouldn't surprise anyone.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

KWH got the same message we did

Following the book and calling it an adornment it would be a UC, 2 and you are gone, right? Also 9-5-1g Refusing to comply with an official's request-Penalty UC, page 73 The second unsportsmanlike results in a disqualification.

It would be nice if we actually followed the book, the amendments are a pain at times.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Are there other rules the coaches ding you on when you enforce them?
I'm sure there are. The coaches vote has no feedback to the governing body aside from the vote itself. Common sense lends itself to the idea that you should focus on penalties that relate to the fairness of the contest and safety rather than nit-picking over the presence of an underarmore bicept band or a "live strong" yellow wrist band.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Great... the p*ssing contests have found their way to this board too. I guess I will have to stop checking this one now like the NFHS board.

Why waste the time reading all the childish banter?
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 10:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH
Is everyone that disagrees with you needed to responds from you in a childish way?

Someone disagrees with you and they have an inflated ego?

Even though I agree with you on this topic, but when are you just going to just disagree with someone without name calling like you are 5 years old?

BTW, we were told the very same thing about this rule. If the coach does not comply you have options to penalize this. That is the first time I heard this, but that is what our Rules Interpreter said.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 02:25am.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2008, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

As an umpire, I don't think I'd want to start off a game dinging players or coaches for bicep bands. This is the worst way to start things off and I'm sure I'd get an earful from my wings. How about working with the coach to make sure that the players remove the bands and use the USC as a last resort? The rule may be in black and white, but some common sense has to factor in here.

Scott
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Really? Where?

2007 NFHS FOOTBALL POINTS OF EMPHASIS

PLAYER EQUIPMENT AND UNIFORM ADORNMENTS

-cut-

Towels and Sweatbands: One unmarked moisture-absorbing white towel not less than 4 inches wide and 12 inches in length and no greater than 18 inches in width and 36 inches in width and/or one moisture-absorbing sweatband worn on one or both wrists beginning at the base of the thumb and extending no more than 3 inches toward the elbow are the only two uniform adornments that are legal.
Hi,

Since no one else pointed it out (someone refered to the rules, but you had asked where in the POE it was found), I have emphasised the section that seems to cover it.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22
Hi,

Since no one else pointed it out (someone refered to the rules, but you had asked where in the POE it was found), I have emphasised the section that seems to cover it.
No. The question was where in the POE does it say that a player should be ejected if he returns to the games wearing bicep bands after he's been told to take them off.