Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

roughing the passer and change of poss.

Hello guys.

I'm sure alot of you have gotten your reddings guides by now. I know I have. And as always, I enjoy reading the reddings guide. But I wanted to run this one by you guys to see what you think. If you look on pg.49 of the NFHS reddings guide, its the 1st play on that page. In the play it talks about a pass play where there is roughing of the passer. Afterwards, the pass goes downfield and we have a catch and then a fumble. The ball rolls into and out of B's EZ. NOw, I have always been of the opinion that this is a change of possession. And of course, we then penalize from the previous spot with an automatic 1st down. However, it seems that reddings has changed his stance on this play. He now says that the change of possession doesn't really occur during the down and therefore we penalize from the end of the run (the fumble). I just think this is wrong. If we try and rationalize this type of stuff, then where does it end? We'd also have to take a long look at PSK stuff when the balls rolls out of bounds on kicks. I can't find any sort of editorial change in the rulebook that would explain this change in interpretation. So, why all of a sudden change it?

Comments welcome..