The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
It wouldn't be all American players, like you're trying to infer. Yes, there would be American players; more or less than now - who knows. What is true is that many players from the US don't even consider coming to Canada, often saying "ha ha" to such a career move.

You're the one that implied only the good players are American and that in order for a Cdn to make a team, it has to be reserved for him. If that is so, then show me evidence that the worst US player is better than the best Cdn player. Because if that isn't so, then a Cdn wouldn't need the reservation that you mention.

The fact that Cdns have earned their ways in D1 schools shows that there are many players who make a CFL roster without the rule you're referencing.

As for avoiding your question, don't be so afraid to use Google yourself. You're a grown adult - you can do it! I'll start you off: the link is www.google.com
I asked you a direct question. It must have been too embarassing for you to give me a direct answer since you knew that Canadians have to be reserved a spot on CFL rosters. I expected that a "grown adult" would answer a direct question.

As for the "good" players, I checked the stats for the CFL 2007 season. The CFL listed the 40 top passers and the 40 top rushers based on yards gained. Of the 80 spots listed, there were THREE Canadian born players listed. That's right, THREE. The rest were American born and these weren't good enough to crack the NFL rosters. In other words, they were worse than the 1700 players in the NFL last year yet they virtually shut out the Canadians in
their own league. If you look at the Americans (NFL rejects, so to speak) you can see that the CFL is loaded with Americans from small schools and even 3rd tier colleges. Such schools as McNeese State, Sacramento State, South Dakota, etc. are represented. Do these sound like football powers to you? The stars of the CFL couldn't play for the top schools in the US. So, we have 22 of the 39 CFL roster spots reserved for Canadians, yet even still, they can't be found among the stars of the league! So much for the "good" players being Cdn.

A friend of mine attended a Sas. Roughrider game a while back. Sitting in front of him was a former Roughrider player who played college ball at Ohio State. In talking with my friend, this guy eventually told him (quietly, so that the Cdn fans wouldn't hear him) that the CFL was a rinky dink league and that a good college team from the states would beat them. Upon checking the CFL rosters, I realized that he was correct since most of the US players were from smaller schools in the US who couldn't make it in big time US colleges.

Of the 1696 players on active NFL rosters last year, 14 are Canadian born, less than 1%. That doesn't sound like "good" to me. Congrats to those who made it but for N. American football, let's be real and admit that Canadians aren't very good at football. I'd say Arena ball and the CFL would have to be similar in quality. In reality, I have to admit that this discussion is silly since making the roster of a CFL team is nothing to brag about. If players can't make the NFL, they have minor league options such as NFL Europe, Arena ball and the CFL, probably in that order, based on what I've seen in terms of movement of players from those leagues into the NFL.

BTW, Rice University won 3 games last year against mid-major teams with a combined record of 12-25. So, when you are name-dropping, please don't use an inferior program to impress me. Rice is a joke when it comes to D-I football.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 05:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Of the 1696 players on active NFL rosters last year, 14 are Canadian born, less than 1%. That doesn't sound like "good" to me. Congrats to those who made it but for N. American football, let's be real and admit that Canadians aren't very good at football.
Sorry, goober, but that's a bullsh!t statistic when one country has 10 times the population of the other. You'd also have to correlate in the actual number of football players in each country also to come up with something a little more meaningful than what you're trying to sell.

Would you use the same type of reasoning to come up with the conclusion that because the USA hasn't won a Gold Medal in the Olympics or World Basketball championships since 2000 ( beaten by countries during that period like Spain, Italy, Argentina, Greece, Puerto Rico, etc.), US basketball players overall just aren't as "good" as the players in those countries also and American players just aren't very good at basketball?

Good try though. If it will make you feel better, why don't you just come right out and say "Nanny nanny boo-boo, my country is better than yours."

Freaking juvenile crap.......

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 06:11am.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 06:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

My point about Rice wasn't about Rice; it is that as time progresses, schools from farther and farther away are travelling to Canada.

But if what you want to hear is that the mighty USA produces better athletes than Canada - then I'll admit that with this statement. Go Uncle Sam!

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 06:09am.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
My mother can beat up your mother!
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sorry, goober, but that's a bullsh!t statistic when one country has 10 times the population of the other. You'd also have to correlate in the actual number of football players in each country also to come up with something a little more meaningful than what you're trying to sell.

Would you use the same type of reasoning to come up with the conclusion that because the USA hasn't won a Gold Medal in the Olympics or World Basketball championships since 2000 ( beaten by countries during that period like Spain, Italy, Argentina, Greece, Puerto Rico, etc.), US basketball players overall just aren't as "good" as the players in those countries also and American players just aren't very good at basketball?

Good try though. If it will make you feel better, why don't you just come right out and say "Nanny nanny boo-boo, my country is better than yours."

Freaking juvenile crap.......
Wow, I guess I hit a nerve when you have to resort to name-calling in your response! I usually use statistics to support my arguments when possible so that it's not just random opinion. Silly me! (I was disappointed that you called me a goober and not a "hoser.") EH??

You say that the statistic is not valid in supporting my argument? Well, when a country has 10 times the population but yet has more than 100 times the players in the NFL, you'd have say it has to do with more than just population, eh? If it was just the population difference, then you'd expect that there would be 170 Canadians in the NFL, not just 14! Hey, 14 means that there is less than one-half a Canadian on each NFL team! Ouch.

As for your argument about basketball, if you don't win THE gold medal, I don't think that you can conclude that a country does not have good basketball players. If a country consistently makes the Olympics or makes the medal round or gets any kind of medal, you can safely conclude that they have good basketball players. (I don't see how your argument relates to Canadians in football since the less than 1% argument is not even close to the argument that the US has not won the gold medal for a few years.) And, let's face it, the world is catching up to the US in basketball. I've got no problem with that. The rest of the world is getting better because kids around the world have been exposed to and grown to love a truly great sport that was invented in the USA by a CANADIAN! (Did you know that?) Hey, Canada has a great one in Steve Nash! Did you know that there are 2 other Canadians in the NBA. Yep, Canada is up to 3 now! Basketball is a truly international sport, probably 2nd only to soccer in world popularity. Notice that the NBA does not have a restriction on "imports." We have a tendancy to want the best players, not limited to only those who are born in our country. Xenophobia does not promote the best in sport. As long as the CFL restricts imports, it will only be limiting itself to minor league status.

Not that the CFL is not entertaining. I am trying to make it to a Blue Bomber or Roughrider game to see what it's like and to see those great softball uniforms on the refs. I think it would be fun.

When it comes to football, you would have to agree that the CFL is truly a minor league and the lack of Canadians in the NFL supports my argument that Canadians are way way behind the US in football...eh?

As for hockey, which is 'god' in Canada, things are changing. Canadians make up only 52% of the rosters now in the NHL. The US is up to 21% (not bad for a country where hockey is basically played in a few northern tier states and very few colleges) and the other 27% is made up of players from 18 other countries including such hockey powers as the UK and Brazil!

JUGGLING - Sorry about the Rice thing. I see your point about distance.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Wow, I guess I hit a nerve when you have to resort to name-calling in your response!
Hit a nerve? Hell, I could give a damn less about you.... or the CFL. And I stopped reading your last post after the sentence above. It has no value at all re: football officiating. I just personally have no use or patience for pathetic, childish little games like the one that you're playing. That's just me though. Don't let that stop you. See if you can find someone from another country to practice your craft on. Don't they still play football in England, Germany, etc? Think of the possibilities. And you also could break down teams by race and religion next. I'd bet that you probably have favorites in those categories also.

Believe it or not..... and you obviously don't believe it.... you really don't build something up by running something else down.

What you're doing is called "trolling". Keep up the excellent work.

As I said, freaking juvenile crap.

PS- whereinthehell did you ever get the idea that I have to be a Canadian to disagree with a clown like you? Sorry, but that was just a convenient premise on your part.

Feel free to have the last word.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 12:44pm.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 12:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
My mother can beat up your mother!
Mine is bigger than yours!

You got the idea, Walt.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Worldwide - for spectators - I would say that Basketball ranks well behind Cricket (especially now that China has stopped broadcasting games).
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22
Worldwide - for spectators - I would say that Basketball ranks well behind Cricket (especially now that China has stopped broadcasting games).
I mean participation so I think basketball would be far above cricket in terms of numbers of kids in so many countries who play it.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 06:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I saw the new uniforms in action during the pre-season games last night.

They are nothing short of great-looking!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Didn't know that CFL sponsored a softball team!

Another uniform change for the sake of change. These uniform changes draw attention to the officials which is unnecessary.

Bottom line: UGLY!
No, no, I don't think so. That's great!