The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

New official advice

I am just starting out officiating and wanted to get some advice. I won't be able to work game due to my current work schedule until this fall but wanted to get familiar with rules, etc. well before then.

I wanted to know if there was anything, other than watching officials working games, the rule book, case book and manual that would be good to have or be helpful in learning rules (i.e. different forms of the rule book, etc.). I know there are some different types of rule books, like the rule book illustrated, so wanted input and help on deciding what to purchase.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

First find out which rules your state uses. Purchase the rule book and the case book. Many new officials also seem to like the illustrated book. It might also be helpful to get the book that shows the differences between NCAA and NFHS rules. Find a clinic and attend!
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

I just finished my first year and I honestly didn't find the Simplified and Illustrated book that useful. A study guide I would highly recommend is the Redding Study Guide for NFHS Rules.

You can purchase it at www.honigs.com or www.doublesdistributors.com .

Also, check out www.usafootball.com . They have some good free material on there and I hear the material on the paid side is very good as well.

Otherwise, I just spent some time reading the forums and going over plays with fellow officials. I obviously have much to learn but I feel I had a pretty good start.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
It might also be helpful to get the book that shows the differences between NCAA and NFHS rules.
This is probably not a good idea. This will only confuse you.

Find out what rules code your state uses. If you live in Texas or Massechusetts, they use NCAA. Otherwise, focus on NFHS. The rules by topic or Reddings guide are great resources.

Don't overwhelm yourself with reading the whole rule book. Focus on rule 2 first. Although probably the most boring part of the book, these definitions are vital to understanding the rest of the book.
Massachusetts, they use NCAA rules. Otherwise it is most likely that you should focus on NFHS rules first. There are various resources out there for either code. The Redding's Guides are a great resource. The Rules by Topic (NFHS) is also a great resource. Both these are available at

Find a local association or study group. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but also don't be "that guy". Every group has a "that guy", the one who talks all the time about his upcoming games or games he's worked, or asks totally irrelevant questions. Sometimes it's better to be a little quiet at first and once you feel a little more comfortable, then you can speak up more. Now I am not telling you to be totally mute, but be aware of your surroundings and the dynamics of the group. When at these meetings you will quickly get a good idea of who is a good resource and knows that they're talking about compared to those that just like to hear themselves speak.

Good luck! These boards are great resources.

Last edited by grantsrc; Thu Jan 24, 2008 at 03:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Go to Grant's web site and look at some of the material he's gathered. He's got a lot of great information you have a tough time finding on your own.

http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
focus on NFHS. The rules by topic or Reddings guide are great resources.
I agree. These are two of my favorites. Read through the NFHS Case Book too. Ask questions. This forum, along with others are a great resource. Have fun.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Get in shape!

If you're not already there get in shape now. Do NOT try to "play yourself into shape" as some athletes do.

One main thing all officials need at all levels is CONCENTRATION and that gets easily lost as you wear down physically in a game. If you have the stamina to work 4 quarters (and then some), then the ability to make (correct) crucial calls when the game is on the line is much easier because you won't easily lose your concentration due to fatigue.

Work hard right now starting today!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't worry too much yet about the rules. LJ is right: get in shape. If you want to get an early start, find out who in the local association you need to get signed up with, dues paid, etc. Then, start looking for clinics. Even if its an on-field clinic, you can go watch. That's what I did in the spring before my first year. Then, I went to the association meetings/training, the state meetings, and the local clinics. Then scrimmages.

Start budgeting for expenses. We don't wear shorts except for scrimmages, so for games, we need the full uniform. Your league might be different. At least, you'll need a shirt ($30), a hat ($12), shoes ($75), flags, bags, and notepads (~$25), down indicators ($2-5) and a few whistles ($10). You'll likely need knickers ($40 for good ones, $30 otherwise), and socks ($7 a pair; need at least 2 pair). Most guys have multiples of each item except maybe shoes. Also, you'll probably want other items like sports briefs, under armour (or the like) tops and bottoms, etc.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the stamina to work 4 quarters
How about 4 games? We work a minimum of 2 on subvarsity nights. 3 isn't uncommon and 4 isn't out of the question -- particularly for Saturday pee wee.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Also find a mentor, I am curious of your location.

I'll PM you to find out if I can help you out.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Here is what I post for all new guys who ask. Some of this has already been mentioned, but worth it again.

Buy the Redding Study Guide https://thatsitideas.com/doublesdist...onlineform.htm cuz it is awesome. Read it, highlight it, and work as many games as you can.

Go to a clinic or two if you can and any on field stuff at a clinic is a bonus.

This board, the NF board, http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...?ubb=forum;f=9, and The Official Forum, http://forum.officiating.com/forumdi...id=4&daysprune, are great sites that focuses on NF FB. You can learn from reading, looking in the rulebook for answers, posting, and asking your own questions.

A mentor is a great way to go if you have someone who is good and will work with you. Talk to him about things as often as he will let you, via email or phone.

Start watching games and thinking of what the signals and enforcements for fouls that you see happen are before the official comes on and does the signal and enforces the penalty.

HAVE FUN AND NEVER STOP LEARNING OR STUDYING!!! GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD!!

Grant's site has a ton of good stuff. http://home.comcast.net/~minnmo/football.htm
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ref08,
Welcome to our group. Here in Ohio you will need to take a 25 hour class (classroom and on field training) before you can start. Go to the OHSAA website and then to the Officials section. You'll find local associations listed there. Pick out the closest to your home and contact them, they will guide you through what you will need to do to become registered. The classes usually start in July and last 5 weeks or so. There may be a listing in the local newspaper with the class, thats how I found about the class I took.
Good Luck and have fun!!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ref08- You have mail.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Spring ball will be here in May. I will be going into my 39th season (32 in CNY and 7 here). I really look forward to it.
There probably are no associations/groups that can't use new officials. The first part of the rules book you really want to work on are the definitions. Try not to let yourself get wrapped up in the nuances of the rules in your first year or so.
For example---knowing the difference between a fumble and a muff is important. In a game you need to be able to explain what you saw happen to the Referee and let him deal with the details of things like penalty enforcement etc.
Hope you have fun !
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I've been in it for four years now, with last year being my first on the varsity field.

I can tell you without a doubt the most important thing you can learn now, in order to move up, is to master the mechanics of the job. You can know all the rules you want, but the veterans judge you by whether you look like you belong on the field. That means knowing all the little nit-picky stuff, like what you have to do when there's a fumble on your side of the field, what your duty is when a measurement is performed, etc. The NFHS official's manual should be your bible, so to speak, but understand that your association may vary from that standard.

But, I'd study the heck out of that and at least familiarize yourself with the rules. And then I'd work every single scrimmage that was available to me. And never turn down an assignment. Be eager to hear sage advice, and become buddies with a few mentors.