The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rulebook

Guys, anybody know how can I get a copy of 2007 NCAA rulebook so I can translate into portuguese and start going by these rules down here in Brazil?
Any help is widely apreciated
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

You can download a copy here:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p...all/2005/index

Use the "Download rules book" field.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!!! You are going to switch from NFL to NCAA !!! Good luck!! AT least you will have more sources available to help everyone learn and get questions answered.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:51pm
Chain of Fools

2007 NCAA rules & interpretations

Here's a newer link to download
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Its pdf format so you'll need Adobe.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Good move dvasques! It brings you into line with the rest of the World - NCAA Rules are the standard outside of North America. I know that they have started football in Portugal in the last couple of years - I heard they used Spanish officials in the beginning. I don't know if there are any Portuguese officials yet.

When I was a member of EFAF (the European Federation) I worked several games with a French official Olivier Valongo who was actually Portuguese but has lived and worked in France for years.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, we're not switching for beach footbal yet.
We're getting into the Pan American Football Association, and they use NCAA rules. Now it's my job to translate the rules and train some officials. And I'm already very scared of what might happen on the way.
The thing is we formed a Brazilian Football team this year and went to Uruguay to play a friendly game. It was interesting and everybody got very excited about playing on grass with the whole equipment. So now we're starting what should be a slow transition to grass and NCAA rules.

As a matter of fact, guys, there's some talk about a possibility of bringing one NCAA official down to Brazil to, maybe, help us out with a clinic or something like that, and to officiate a small tournament. Problem is that it seems like the date we'll have for that is during NCAA season. I'm trying to antecipate or postpone the date to april/may 2008 or 2009 and get our stuff out of the season's way.

Any ideas if I should speak to some president of officiating or something like that to arrange the visit or should I go look for officials individualy?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Dick Honig might be able to help. honigs.com
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Peter Springwald is the head of officiating of IFAF (International Federation of American Football). http://www.ifaf.info/ He might be able to help with recommendations about someone to give a clinic - he can put you in touch with Olivier Valongo for example, if you needed a Portuguese speaking official....

I won't put Peter's email directly on here in case it gets picked up by a spam engine but you can mail Peter by going to this page

http://www.gfl.info/text.php?Inhalt=newsmeldung&ID=2555

and clicking on
Bestellung an Peter Springwald

The IFAF website has occasionally interesting world-wide stuff about AmFoot. For example I didnt know that a league had just started in Israel, in their first game, Big Blue Jerusalem defeated the Dancing Camel Hasharon Pioneers.

Try writing small enough to fit Dancing Camel Hasharon Pioneers on your gamecard
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, I need some fast help. Turns out the American Consulate might help us getting one Official and one Coach down to Rio sometime next year, but we need to have some sort of Official's clinic plan in paper to show the Consul. So I need to figure out how does an Official clinic works. How is it planned? How does it work? How many hours do we need to qualify people on the clinic?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
Guys, I need some fast help. Turns out the American Consulate might help us getting one Official and one Coach down to Rio sometime next year, but we need to have some sort of Official's clinic plan in paper to show the Consul. So I need to figure out how does an Official clinic works. How is it planned? How does it work? How many hours do we need to qualify people on the clinic?
Pick me!

Need some more info here. Clinics are handled in a variety of ways. Most of them use classroom, onfield, and film study. Some clinics are only classroom-based, but most of them use some form of onfield training.

Time frame varies depending on the amount of information you want to cover. Some of them are two days long, others three, some are one evening with a follow-up the next morning.

Planning- A group of officials get together and discuss what should be covered in the meeting. Ideally you get a group of upper level guys that would be clinicians for each position. So for instance, if you use 5 man mechanics, have one or two upper level officials for each position- R, H, L, U, and B. Then have these clinicians watch each individual during a live scrimmage and take notes. If you have access to video, film it and watch the film with the clinician and the working officials. Go over the notes, talk about keys, mechanics, rules, whatever comes up. Some clinics break down the film study by position. For instance, R and U together in one room, LOS guys in another room, and deep officials in another room. This works best since each group has similar things they look for. If your guys work all positions, might not want to break out into groups but rather focus on each position for some time.

Last, not sure what you mean about hours to qualify someone. This might be a location-specific topic. Speaking from my experience, most clinics will last between 10-15 hours, depending on topics and amount of onfield work.

I am sure others will offer their experiences. If you want, send me a private message or an email and I would be happy to help in anyway I can.

Other topics to discuss:
  • Rule changes
  • mechanics changes
  • Conflict management
  • Penalty flag and bean bag mechanics
  • Goal line mechanics
  • philosophy (this is a tough topic because each person is different in their philosophies)
  • Using the chains properly- measuring, aiding in penalty enforcement, etc.
  • Uniform expectations
Those are just some of the ideas that come to mind. Many of these depend on the level of experience of the attendees.

Some things to consider would be to contact different collegiate conferences or some of the people at USAFootball.com. There are numerous training tapes out there and some of the conferences might be willing to share theirs. Also, the guys at USA Football attend numerous clinics across the US and also do some things internationally. I helped develop some of the training materials for them this past year and they have a wealth of stuff.

Last edited by grantsrc; Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 04:57pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

you might want to check with the swedish american football association as they have had considerable experience in developing courseware and training officials in swedish. the person who originally developed the material, including the translation of the rule book (ncaa) is american.

[email protected] is the email address for the general office there.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes
Good move dvasques! It brings you into line with the rest of the World - NCAA Rules are the standard outside of North America.
Might as well add a historic note: the NCAA football rules have the longest continuity in the hands of a single organiz'n. NCAA was organized to take over intercollegiate football from a student-faculty-alumni committee that'd developed a set of rules which they'd gotten published annually by Spalding and was understood as standard. (Not universal, however: twice in the 19th Century, there had been regional breakaways from the Football Rules Committee.) Of course, had it been up to the students, they wouldn't've involved faculty at all. Inviting faculty onto the committee was a compromise they made to keep from having to go underground as unacceptable student activity, especially on campus. Later, control by the NCAA (which had no student represent'n at all) was again seen as necessary to keep football socially acceptable or even legally tolerated.

The other major codes of football in the USA -- those of Fed & NFL -- were both derived from NCAA's rules, and both the Federation and the NFL used NCAA rules for some years before amending them for their own purposes.

NCAA & Fed have also deliberately cooperated over the years re football and picked up much from each other's football rules. I would say that at least initially NCAA was the beneficiary, because early in their development of their own rules, Fed undertook a project of several years, being a rewrite that was implemented practically all at once when it was finished. That and a later rewrite very much clarified and condensed the rule book, and NCAA was at least inspired by Fed's editing job to eventually do better themselves. By contrast NFL's rules writing has been an accretion of details with little editing and reconciliation.

Robert
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Might as well add a historic note: the NCAA football rules have the longest continuity in the hands of a single organiz'n.
With all the acronym changes in the Canadian Rugby Unions, we could make soup!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
With all the acronym changes in the Canadian Rugby Unions, we could make soup!
But even if you count from the beginning of the CRU thru Football Canada as one run organizationally, ruleswise there's what I'd consider a discontinuity when the CRU, preceded by some provincial unions, essentially adopted the Burnside rules en bloc.

Robert