The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 01:03pm
Broadcaster

Too many penalties

A question from a broadcaster. We did a crosstown rivalry game last night that was a rollercoaster with the twists and turns, big plays and turnovers. Good guys take the lead 24-20 on a trick play touchdown with 7:00 left in the game, and intercepted the opponent's pass in the end zone with :30 left.

But there were so many penalties in that game both ways. There were only two or three that neither myself, color commentator nor sideline guy saw. But the other 100 (not sure the exact number but it seemed like it) were seen by at least one of us. We saw virtually every infraction in the book, and only a few of them more than twice!

Have you guys had a game like that where it seems like every other play has a flag thrown? I know you aren't paid by the hour, so games like that must drive you crazy.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you don't really notice how many flags are thrown.

I watched one of our games on TV a few weeks ago and heard the announcer say "...our referee has been busy today." Little did I notice the number of penalties that had been called.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 06:43pm
Broadcaster

I went back and listened to the webcast of the game (NFHS) and was surprised how many calls I got right. For example, 2nd and 14, A commits an illegal shift and after the tackle, B commits a PF late hit. Our sideline guy said automatic 1st down on the PF and my color commentator said they offset. I said I didn't think so, that both should be assessed making it 2nd and 4. Indeed that is what happened. I found a few more like that thanks to you folks educating me via this board. Sadly because I try to get the rules right, I won't get hired by a national network.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Guess that is a NFHS deal??? The dead ball PF would be an auto 1st in NCAA
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Yes, that is an NFHS rule. The only fouls by B that will result in an AUTO 1st down are Roughing the Passer, Roughing the Snapper, Roughing the Kicker or Holder and DPI.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 09:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Leave it to Texas to think the NCAA rulebook is the default
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

It should be.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 01:52am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Leave it to Texas to think the NCAA rulebook is the default
Everything's bigger in Texas.

I had a few games this season that it seemed we couldn't keep the flags in our pockets. When you have teams playing sloppy and dirty, that is what happens unfortunately.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 04:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
It should be.
48 states disagree with you.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Our BJ has made the comment that 'we don't commit the infractions, only call them.' In theory, it's nice to say "let them play," and I would say that, when watching a game as a fan, I prefer a game with fewer fouls than more fouls. That being the case, in a game I officiate, if the teams jump offsides, commit many illegal blocks, 'haul' down receivers when the ball is in the air, etc., I am going to make the call, and the last thing I think about on the field is "boy, there has been a lot of flags tonight."
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

We've had the opposite too. We did a quarterfinal a few years ago where the first flag came out early 4th quarter. That was a game where if my career would have ended after that game I would still be smiling as it was well played, back and forth, great night, great fans. Another crew had finished and early game and was listening to our game on the radio. It was such a good game that they came and watched the rest of ours rather than head home.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
48 states disagree with you.
True, but compare the quality of football in those 48 states to Texas and then get back to me.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
True, but compare the quality of football in those 48 states to Texas and then get back to me.
Well that's why there is Federation ball so the heathen nonbelievers in the football gods can play too.

Edited to make my post a little less snarky. Sorry, I'm a bit onery today.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 02:31pm.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
A question from a broadcaster. We did a crosstown rivalry game last night that was a rollercoaster with the twists and turns, big plays and turnovers. Good guys take the lead 24-20 on a trick play touchdown with 7:00 left in the game, and intercepted the opponent's pass in the end zone with :30 left.

But there were so many penalties in that game both ways. There were only two or three that neither myself, color commentator nor sideline guy saw. But the other 100 (not sure the exact number but it seemed like it) were seen by at least one of us. We saw virtually every infraction in the book, and only a few of them more than twice!

Have you guys had a game like that where it seems like every other play has a flag thrown? I know you aren't paid by the hour, so games like that must drive you crazy.

This is very unusual in my experience. Big games like cross-town rivals or a match of high-ranked teams normally are easy to work and have very few penalties. I think it's because the players are too busy trying to win and to aware of the consequences of a dumb penalty to do anything stupid. In the case of top teams, they are better players (less need to hold, etc.) and better coached. I'm really suprised you would have a game like this with that many fouls. For me, it seems the norm to have a game like that with maybe two or three flags all night. It's the uneven blow outs that become flag fests.

Do you have any theories why your game was like that?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 08:52am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
This is very unusual in my experience. Big games like cross-town rivals or a match of high-ranked teams normally are easy to work and have very few penalties. I think it's because the players are too busy trying to win and to aware of the consequences of a dumb penalty to do anything stupid. In the case of top teams, they are better players (less need to hold, etc.) and better coached. I'm really suprised you would have a game like this with that many fouls. For me, it seems the norm to have a game like that with maybe two or three flags all night. It's the uneven blow outs that become flag fests.

Do you have any theories why your game was like that?
Not really. There were some tiebreak situations, but basically the winner of this game went to the playoffs and the loser did not, so there may have been some extra anticipation at the line and trying get away with bending the rules. Here are the penalties in order from most to least:

False start by OL (seven)
Defensive line offsides (three)
Offensive holding (three)
Illegal block in the back (three)
6 men on LOS (three)
UC (three, the last one with an ejection)
DPI (two)
2 backs in motion (two)
Running into the punter
Kickoff OOB
Chop block
Illegal substitution
Defensive holding
Ineligible man downfield
12 men on the field after the snap
Running into the kicker

After listening to the tape, the only ones none of us in the booth saw was one of the offensive holdings and one DPI. But they very easily could have happened. But every other infraction was definitely an accurate call by the officials.

A wild game with two lead changes in the fourth quarter and the winning team intercepting a pass in the end zone with 30 seconds left. But the players committed way too many fouls.