The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Captains and Officials

hey all just needing some advice on captains.

i have had a reply about an incident i had with a captain from the weekend which is quoted below:
Captain: 'I was critisicized by you on the weekend for speaking with an official - note I did not swear and was not up in his face, also note I am a captain of the club and am entitled to have that conversation.'

In the lead up to this the captain who is a defender was interfered with by an offense player and a first game official, who had never seen this happen before, doesn't throw his flag. the official is also 17. the captain moves towards this official pointing and yelling about not throwing the flag. Because of his movement toward the official and being new to the game the captain has an USC against him (harsh some may say but the coaches were told of the new officials in the pregame.) As Ref I pull the captain aside and another captain calls out 'he can do that he's a captain.' I ask the captain i am with 'do you have a right to go over to that official and do that to him?' the captain replies 'yes' so i send him off for 2 plays. Our assessor is on the sideline listening to him rant and carry on and he speaks to him about being sent off. The assessor agrees with my actions btw (why because funnily enough I am his trainer.)

Some questions we have for NCAA Officials and others is this:
What are the unwritten conventions USA Officials use when dealing with Captains?
The rules develop an understanding that officials instigate communication with captains to help communicate penalties, coin toss, player control, etc but not with captains coming in to 'play the official' about decisions, so at what point have captains/players overstepped the mark?
At what point does The Football Code kick in: "When an official imposes a penalty or makes a decision, he simply is doing his duty as he sees it. He is on the field to uphold the integrity of the game of football, and his decisions are final and conclusive and should be accepted by players and coaches."
And we have a Safe Sports Policy to ensure a safe environment for officials from physical and mental abuse that needs to be implemented.
Please any comments?

Grant M
www.sagoa.info
http://sagridironofficials.blogspot.com
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 04:58pm
Chain of Fools

In reality, "captain" at the h.s. level is little more than an honorary title bestowed upon a few players by the team or its coach. Team captains may be leaders on campus, in the locker room, and in drills but in games most will look to the sideline to see what the coach wants for a penalty decision.

After the coin toss, I rarely remember who the captains are. If we call for a captain to go speak to the referee concerning a penalty, we usually have to yell 2 or 3 times to get one's attention. Sometimes we just nudge a guy forward if nobody speaks up. If a player wishes to communicate with me, I'll hear what he has to say if he is respectful, whether he is a captain or not.