The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

OPI on quick "screen"

We had a play last night I want to run past this august group.

A has 3rd and 10 on their own 8 yard line. Quarterback takes a quick drop and throws a quick screen to his left (line judge side). From my vantage point, it was somewhere around the line of scrimmage. Before the ball arrived, an A player clearly picked off a B player to enable the catch and run, which resulted in a first down.

We have a 5-man crew. Who *can* make the determination that the pass was beyond the line of scrimmage and, therefore, deserving of an OPI call?

The reason I ask this is because the pass and catch happened right in front of the line judge and I think he was too close to the catch to properly see the pick and also too close to determine whether the pass was behind, in, or beyond the line of scrimmage. This led to quite the discussion in the locker room after the game, BTW.

So, guys....anyone see a role here for anyone besides the LJ?
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

First, what was the pick. Who did what. 2Nd U should know if pass crossed LOS.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
We had a play last night I want to run past this august group.

A has 3rd and 10 on their own 8 yard line. Quarterback takes a quick drop and throws a quick screen to his left (line judge side). From my vantage point, it was somewhere around the line of scrimmage. Before the ball arrived, an A player clearly picked off a B player to enable the catch and run, which resulted in a first down.

We have a 5-man crew. Who *can* make the determination that the pass was beyond the line of scrimmage and, therefore, deserving of an OPI call?

The reason I ask this is because the pass and catch happened right in front of the line judge and I think he was too close to the catch to properly see the pick and also too close to determine whether the pass was behind, in, or beyond the line of scrimmage. This led to quite the discussion in the locker room after the game, BTW.

So, guys....anyone see a role here for anyone besides the LJ?
U could know, but in my opinion the wing guy should get the line and the bj should get the pick. In this play the LJ will be standing on the line so he should know where the ball was caught.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

He maybe too close to see the pick if he's watching the ball and the receiver.

But I see no reason he shouldn't be able to know whether the pass crosses the LOS or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrefcshou
U could know, but in my opinion the wing guy should get the line and the bj should get the pick. In this play the LJ will be standing on the line so he should know where the ball was caught.
I agree with this. The U starts 5-7 yards off the LOS. Even if he's quick he's only going to be a step or two closer and looking at an angle. LJ has the best view of the receiver's position when the ball is caught and the BJ should be able to see the block beyond the LOS.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

If it was a quick screen, the H should have a read and still be on the LOS as well to help with if the catch was behind the LOS or not. As for the pick, could be the L or could be the B.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

The BJ or the flanker on that side should have that block by A downfield. I know the BJ's initial key might be on the other side, but the BJ almost HAS to get this.
In this situation I'd throw the flag for the "block by A during a pass play" and then confer with the crew to determine whether or not that ball crossed the line of scrimmage or not. We can wave this flag off no problem if the ball didn't cross the line.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I agree that the B (or possibly the L) has the best chance of picking this (OPI) up. However, CruiseMan makes a very good point. It is much 'safer' to put the flag down for the OPI and then wave it off if it's determined that the pass didn't cross the NZ then it would be to hold the flag and put it down after the play if you determine the pass did cross the NZ.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree also with that mechanic, yet I am still trying to get used to it. In the league that I work, quick screens are used a lot. It's hard to throw that flag when you know it's probably going to be picked up. With 7 man, the mechanic that is best used is to have the LJ (who's holding the LOS) to throw is arm back when the pass is behind the LOS. I've become very accustomed to looking at my LJ on all screen plays.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRef
I agree also with that mechanic, yet I am still trying to get used to it. In the league that I work, quick screens are used a lot. It's hard to throw that flag when you know it's probably going to be picked up. With 7 man, the mechanic that is best used is to have the LJ (who's holding the LOS) to throw is arm back when the pass is behind the LOS. I've become very accustomed to looking at my LJ on all screen plays.
Given your wings use the arm back mechanic for a pass completed behind the LOS, what mechanic do they use for a backward pass?
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

No signal...In our mechanics, if the pass was forward and incomplete, of course, you would have a whistle. If the pass was backward and incomplete, you would have no whistle. If there were a double forward pass you would have a flag. Therefore, at least according to our bosses, you don't need a signal.