The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:09am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,674
OPI on quick "screen"

We had a play last night I want to run past this august group.

A has 3rd and 10 on their own 8 yard line. Quarterback takes a quick drop and throws a quick screen to his left (line judge side). From my vantage point, it was somewhere around the line of scrimmage. Before the ball arrived, an A player clearly picked off a B player to enable the catch and run, which resulted in a first down.

We have a 5-man crew. Who *can* make the determination that the pass was beyond the line of scrimmage and, therefore, deserving of an OPI call?

The reason I ask this is because the pass and catch happened right in front of the line judge and I think he was too close to the catch to properly see the pick and also too close to determine whether the pass was behind, in, or beyond the line of scrimmage. This led to quite the discussion in the locker room after the game, BTW.

So, guys....anyone see a role here for anyone besides the LJ?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 162
First, what was the pick. Who did what. 2Nd U should know if pass crossed LOS.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
We had a play last night I want to run past this august group.

A has 3rd and 10 on their own 8 yard line. Quarterback takes a quick drop and throws a quick screen to his left (line judge side). From my vantage point, it was somewhere around the line of scrimmage. Before the ball arrived, an A player clearly picked off a B player to enable the catch and run, which resulted in a first down.

We have a 5-man crew. Who *can* make the determination that the pass was beyond the line of scrimmage and, therefore, deserving of an OPI call?

The reason I ask this is because the pass and catch happened right in front of the line judge and I think he was too close to the catch to properly see the pick and also too close to determine whether the pass was behind, in, or beyond the line of scrimmage. This led to quite the discussion in the locker room after the game, BTW.

So, guys....anyone see a role here for anyone besides the LJ?
U could know, but in my opinion the wing guy should get the line and the bj should get the pick. In this play the LJ will be standing on the line so he should know where the ball was caught.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
He maybe too close to see the pick if he's watching the ball and the receiver.

But I see no reason he shouldn't be able to know whether the pass crosses the LOS or not.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrefcshou
U could know, but in my opinion the wing guy should get the line and the bj should get the pick. In this play the LJ will be standing on the line so he should know where the ball was caught.
I agree with this. The U starts 5-7 yards off the LOS. Even if he's quick he's only going to be a step or two closer and looking at an angle. LJ has the best view of the receiver's position when the ball is caught and the BJ should be able to see the block beyond the LOS.
__________________
I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:54pm
MJT MJT is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alton, Iowa
Posts: 1,796
If it was a quick screen, the H should have a read and still be on the LOS as well to help with if the catch was behind the LOS or not. As for the pick, could be the L or could be the B.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 40
The BJ or the flanker on that side should have that block by A downfield. I know the BJ's initial key might be on the other side, but the BJ almost HAS to get this.
In this situation I'd throw the flag for the "block by A during a pass play" and then confer with the crew to determine whether or not that ball crossed the line of scrimmage or not. We can wave this flag off no problem if the ball didn't cross the line.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Clinton Township, NJ
Posts: 2,065
REPLY: I agree that the B (or possibly the L) has the best chance of picking this (OPI) up. However, CruiseMan makes a very good point. It is much 'safer' to put the flag down for the OPI and then wave it off if it's determined that the pass didn't cross the NZ then it would be to hold the flag and put it down after the play if you determine the pass did cross the NZ.
__________________
Bob M.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland by way of Arkansas
Posts: 68
I agree also with that mechanic, yet I am still trying to get used to it. In the league that I work, quick screens are used a lot. It's hard to throw that flag when you know it's probably going to be picked up. With 7 man, the mechanic that is best used is to have the LJ (who's holding the LOS) to throw is arm back when the pass is behind the LOS. I've become very accustomed to looking at my LJ on all screen plays.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRef
I agree also with that mechanic, yet I am still trying to get used to it. In the league that I work, quick screens are used a lot. It's hard to throw that flag when you know it's probably going to be picked up. With 7 man, the mechanic that is best used is to have the LJ (who's holding the LOS) to throw is arm back when the pass is behind the LOS. I've become very accustomed to looking at my LJ on all screen plays.
Given your wings use the arm back mechanic for a pass completed behind the LOS, what mechanic do they use for a backward pass?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland by way of Arkansas
Posts: 68
No signal...In our mechanics, if the pass was forward and incomplete, of course, you would have a whistle. If the pass was backward and incomplete, you would have no whistle. If there were a double forward pass you would have a flag. Therefore, at least according to our bosses, you don't need a signal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can "FOUL" be made "FAIR"? PAT THE REF Baseball 60 Sat Feb 24, 2007 09:01pm
Why "general" and "additional"? Back In The Saddle Basketball 1 Sat Oct 07, 2006 02:56pm
"Balk" or "Ball" johnnyg08 Baseball 9 Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:26am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1