The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

legal play ? / snapper protection ?

Team A sets in a scrimmage kick formation. A1 is 7 yds behind the snapper and in position to receive the snap. A2 is on the end of the line and is not covered . A2 goes in motion and while passing between the snapper and A1, receives the snap and runs around the end for a 30 yard gain. When A2 caught the snap he was 5 yds behind the LOS. Is this a legal play ? Does the snapper lose his protection ?
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Under NF rules I would say no. As long as the offense is in a scrimmage kick formation, I do not see any reason that protection does not continue. The only way I think I would be wrong about this if there is a very specific interpretation that covers this kind of situation. I do not know of one right now.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

The rules say the snapper is protected in scrimmage kick formation if there is someone in position to receive the snap that is 7 yards back. It does NOT say that this person, 7 yards off, is required to actually receive the snap. There's no question it's a legal play (what could anyone be conceiving of to make this not legal). The snapper protection is a good question, but I believe he's still protected in all codes.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I agree. Snapper is still protected, but I'm a little concerned with A2 on the end of the line, then going in motion.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I agree. Snapper is still protected, but I'm a little concerned with A2 on the end of the line, then going in motion.
There is not a case play that qualifies an end may go in motion, but 7-2-7 implies it. He must be 5 yard in the back field at the snap to establish that he is a back. That does not eliminate the 7 men on the line requirement.

Last edited by dumbref; Thu Oct 04, 2007 at 02:57pm.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was really concerned about the possibility of the snapper losing protection. He is obviously looking between his legs and exposed to serious injury if hit. The snap was perfect. It just looked a little odd and I felt something wasn't right. Since I didn't KNOW something was wrong, I let the play go and did nothing. Thanks for the clarification and info.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Why - the OP specifically says he was 5 yards back at the snap. Sounds legal to me.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I almost had a first last week. I had an end go in motion while on the line. He lined up as an end and then stated running slowly along the line toward the sideline. At first I thought he was going to reset, but then he started running slower and slower as he got near the sideline. I was waiting for the snap to throw my flag but an interior lineman jumped and spoiled my fun.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

If he stops between the center and the kicker the center loses his protection.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 08:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan
Team A sets in a scrimmage kick formation. A1 is 7 yds behind the snapper and in position to receive the snap. A2 is on the end of the line and is not covered . A2 goes in motion and while passing between the snapper and A1, receives the snap and runs around the end for a 30 yard gain. When A2 caught the snap he was 5 yds behind the LOS. Is this a legal play ? Does the snapper lose his protection ?
CANADIAN RULING:

At the snap, A must have an eligible player on the end of the line. When A2 left the line, the guy beside him must be eligible ny number. A2's actions are legal. Yes, I do believe that the snapper loses protection.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Why - the OP specifically says he was 5 yards back at the snap. Sounds legal to me.
REPLY: You're right. I had missed the fact that he was 5 yards back.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I have always thought only an end could go in motion. But the way the rule is written, I think any body on the line could go in motion - as long as he can still shift (not in 3 or 4 point stance) and is at least five yards deep at the snap. True?
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref
I have always thought only an end could go in motion. But the way the rule is written, I think any body on the line could go in motion - as long as he can still shift (not in 3 or 4 point stance) and is at least five yards deep at the snap. True?
You still need 7 on the line at the snap, no matter who has gone into motion. This is why you'll see a TE take an initial position on the line with the WR lined up outside of him off the line, the TE then steps back off the line while the WR moves up to the line. After they're both set for a second the TE will go into motion.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
You still need 7 on the line at the snap, no matter who has gone into motion. This is why you'll see a TE take an initial position on the line with the WR lined up outside of him off the line, the TE then steps back off the line while the WR moves up to the line. After they're both set for a second the TE will go into motion.
Agree, still must have seven on the line at the snap and a shift is certainly a way to establish him as a back. What if the WR was on the line (8th man) covering the TE and everyone is set. I am saying the TE may still go in motion from the line as long as he was in a 2 point stance (may still shift) and is at least 5 yards behind the line at the snap. It could apply to a guard or tackle as well.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: dumbref...you're correct, and certainly not dumb.