The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Timing Question

Guys, at what time do you usually invoke 3.4.3? Basic example.

Team A is winning 20-18 with 2 minutes left. The clock is running. Team A commits a false start. Are you going to start the clock on the ready, or will you invoke 3-4-3 because of the clear advantage to Team A and now put it on the snap?

I am sure this has been in here before, but just want to know what you think. I myself would start it on the snap. Agree/Disagree?
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
Guys, at what time do you usually invoke 3.4.3? Basic example.

Team A is winning 20-18 with 2 minutes left. The clock is running. Team A commits a false start. Are you going to start the clock on the ready, or will you invoke 3-4-3 because of the clear advantage to Team A and now put it on the snap?

I am sure this has been in here before, but just want to know what you think. I myself would start it on the snap. Agree/Disagree?
Snap here.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me this year. Basically A was winning by about 10 points late in the fourth quarter and with the clock running, A committed a false start. By the reaction of the kid it was obvious that he didn't do it on purpose. I invoked 3-4-3 and started the clock on the snap. Well, the coach was pissed and asked me why was the clock not running. After the game I explained to him that it was at R's discretion to invoke 3-4-3. HOWEVER, when I got home and read the rule again, it basically says that the team has to intentionally do something for 3-4-3 to be invoked (I don't have my books with me for the literal definition of the rule). So with that being said, I think I was wrong for invoking the rule.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't know intent - this could have been coached, even if didn't look intentional (especially considering that the coach immediately started asking you why the clock wasn't running) - and in a case like this where A gets an obvious advantage from the clock running, you have to assume intent.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
I had this happen to me this year. Basically A was winning by about 10 points late in the fourth quarter and with the clock running, A committed a false start. By the reaction of the kid it was obvious that he didn't do it on purpose. I invoked 3-4-3 and started the clock on the snap. Well, the coach was pissed and asked me why was the clock not running. After the game I explained to him that it was at R's discretion to invoke 3-4-3. HOWEVER, when I got home and read the rule again, it basically says that the team has to intentionally do something for 3-4-3 to be invoked (I don't have my books with me for the literal definition of the rule). So with that being said, I think I was wrong for invoking the rule.
If the kid has been told to do it, he is going to also be told to act like he screwed up. If in doubt, start it on the snap. Under 2 minutes I will start it on the snap for sure.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
CANADIAN RULING:

Timing rules after the 3-minute warning are designed to prevent the clock manipulation indicated. Clock is on the snap after a penalty application.