The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Great lines from the coach

Tonight, we had a major penalty enforced on A which put the ball at about 4th and 20. Team A was in a hurry to get the next play off. After the punt play, the Team A head coach yells to our U, "Why didn't you let us snap the ball (right away)?" The U stood over the ball until the RFP was blown. The U tells him, "I had to wait for the down marker to get set, then the R signals the RFP." The coach says, "I don't care about the chains!"

One of the most "credibility-reducing" lines I've ever heard from a coach. This was from the head coach of the top team in the state.

Anyone have any other great lines from coaches this year?
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Had one last night.

4th Qtr - Head Coach - "Are you blind? They have been breaking the huddle with 12 all night"
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

My all-time favorite:

The team on my sideline had just given up a long touch down pass when the QB rolled out on an option and pulled back to throw the pass to a wide open reciever. The DB came over to talk to a defensive coach and was asked why he gave up on the coverage. The player's reply was "They ran the option so i came up to cover the option." The coach's reply: "Son, the pass is one of his options!"

I know it's not a stupid comment by a coach toward an official but it was one of the funniest exchanges I have heard on the sideline.

BTW Forksref...I'm a ND native now living out of state and I've noticed a lot more games are being played on Saturday afternoons. Is that because of a shortage of officials or avoiding cold weather on Friday nights? Or some other reason? When I was living there (late 80s) all games were Friday nights. Also...how about those Bison?!? They might be favored against the Gophers this year.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Wink ready

I had one where the center snapped the ball as the ready whistle was blowing. Half of his team gave up the play and just stood up. Coach was going ballistic trying to figure out what happened. When I explained that they snapped the ball as the ready whistle was sounding, he asked "what's a ready whistle?"

Also had one where the linesman failed to signal a TD on a goal line play but did stop the clock. I called him and the U together to find out what happened. Then I signalled TD. Coach comes over at half time and says in 35 years he has never seen a white hat signal a touchdown. I replied that I signal every TD and it ain't a TD until I signal it! And of course, 3 plays later his team is intercepted and the ball run back and I was there to signal that one too. Guess he's never been intercepted and run back either.