The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I would guess that was a situation in which the weather was bad and teams elected to defend a goal (rather than kick) in both halfs to get the wind advantage.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
The option after score

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2shooz
Not a choice.. unless you are referring to the choice after a FG has been scored
I believe at that time he was still on NFHS rules, but even if not here is the rule reference for NFHS

8-3-9

After a try, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.

Last edited by joseph2493; Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 12:21pm.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Which is weird - I have a vague recollection of teams being able to elect to kickoff in the first half and still receive in the second half. Anyone know if the NFL rule has changed in the last... 20 years or so?
No way! I know of no form of football wherein the winner of the toss ever got to directly decide which team kicks off in each half!
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasques
the book says the looser has the option for the second half. Which means a team that elected to kick on first half could end up kicking again. But last season I saw one NFL Gamebook (at nfl.com) of a Redskins game in which the Reds won the Toss and elected to kick. On second half they were receiveing, though. That doesn't make much sens unless there's a fair play agreement between teams. If not, why would you not chose to receive the kick on both halves?
When did that game take place? Way back, it was not considered so advantageous as now to have the other team kick off, and captains of opposing teams could differ on that judgement.

If it was more recent, maybe it wasn't an election by the Redskins to kick off in the 1st half, but what they wound up doing after winning the toss and choosing which end to defend in the 1st Q, and their opponents made the same kind of choice to start the 3rd Q.

Robert
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Now I can't be so sure but I think the GameBook tells you if the team who won the toss elected to kick, receive or defend a goal. And I'm pretty sure (not 100% though) that the situation I'm talking about had the winning team electing to kick. Then, receiving the kick on the second half.
And that was no further than two seasons back.
I'll keep checking this season to have a concrete exemple for you