The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

SCAB officials? Maybe not.

There are 2 games being played today in Toronto.

The officials are from the USA.

The US officials may have work permits, but I can't see why. Does anyone have experience with cross-border law and work permits?

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Aug 24, 2007 at 11:22am.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

So what did Coach Mills do that has you guys so deadset that he not coach the game?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:39pm

Who is Coach Mills? Where did you read about this person?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Why are OFOA members not working the games, involving one Coach Mills is coaching?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:46pm

On ongoing disciplinary issue.

Where did you read all of this?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

You started this thread. Why don't you share the whole story instead of being so evasive? Your "Who is Coach Mills" BS is prettey revealing don't you think?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
You started this thread. Why don't you share the whole story instead of being so evasive? Your "Who is Coach Mills" BS is prettey revealing don't you think?
What has starting a thread have to do with anything?

The coach was suspended by the officials. The league wouldn't honour it. Mills thinks it is his right to pick which officials officiate his games.

Instead, the league has hired other officials. In 25 seasons of officiating, I have never been ashamed of another groups of officials, until now.

Those are the details. Now would you care to inform where you read about the situation?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

How can officials suspend a coach??? I am the last one who wants coaches picking officials but officials suspending coaches???? What did he do to warrant the "suspension"?

Does the officials association contract with the League permit them to take a job action like this?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

The Issue with coach Mills has been resolved to the best of my knowledge.

However, when the crews showed up to officiate todays game they were told that their services were not required that the league has contacted officials from the United States to cover the games.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the League had publicly said 3 days ago they would not be using OFOA refs for the game? Guess that word did not make it to the refs.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone north of the border care to give a news story or some other background to those of us scratching our heads south of the border?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:08pm

With all due respect TXMike, you are severley misinformed, through no fault of your own.

Why don't you tell me where you've read your information?
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you are going to start a thread, could you please give us some information? I have no idea what you are talking about or who all these people are.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
With all due respect TXMike, you are severley misinformed, through no fault of your own.

Why don't you tell me where you've read your information?
I think Mike asks a damn good question. Why are you being so evasive about everything?

You call these guys scabs but I don't see where your actions are anymore honorable.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 07:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you are going to start a thread, could you please give us some information? I have no idea what you are talking about or who all these people are.
From GOOGLE......

http://www.allcanadagridiron.com/php...forum.php?f=19

If you wade through everything and throw out the 90% fan nonsense, as near as I can tell:
- the OVFL is composed of 3 divisions--Peewee(12-14), Junior(14-16) and Senior(16-18). The divisions have over 20 teams each playing a summer schedule from cities all over the province of Ontario, Canada.
http://www.ovfootball.ca/
- Officials are supplied through a provincial officiating body called the OFOA, which is composed of regional officiating groups. OFOA supplies officials through the same type of model used by the SEC and other major D1 conferences. They recruit, select, train and assign all officials for all games played in that league
http://www.ofoa.ca/
- the Provincial official's group had a major problem with the actions of the coach of a Senior team against the game officials at a semi-final game. They wanted him suspended for the championship game for these actions.
- after fighting all week, an agreement was reached on Thursday that the coach wouldn't be on the field and that OFOA-assigned officials would now do all 3 games.
- The Peewee championship game on Friday night was officiated by OFOA officials.
- When OFOA officials showed up for the Junior championship game on Saturday afternoon, they were informed that their services would not be needed for either game, and that both games would be officiated by U.S. officials. They were.
- The team that was the center of the conflict lost anyway in the Senior championship game.
- if you can believe some of the rhetoric, there have also already been OVFL executive members and teams resigning from the league over this mess.

Bottom line....it's basically a labor dispute and it's not over yet. And....imo officials anywhere at this age level should not involve themselves in situations involving major problems encountered by a fellow officiating group. "Brothers Under The Stripes" simply don't do that sort of thing.

I don't know where the officials came from but the closest big cities in the U.S. would probably be either Buffalo or Detroit.

Btw this reinforces my vow to keep away from fan forums in any sport.

Enjoy, if you've got a strong stomach......