The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics - foul on touchdown play

Just looking for input. A scores a touchdown and B is flagged for a 5-yard facemask. A elects to have it enforced on the kickoff. You give the foul signal and point to the free kick spot - then go on with the PAT.

Now - B fouls on the successful PAT (15 yard facemask) and elects to have it enforced on the ensuing kickoff. So now you have to go back and decline the previous 5-yard facemask.

My thought - after the PAT, you give the 5-yard facemask signal again and decline it. Then you give the 15-yard facemask signal and point to the free kick spot.

If the foul on the PAT is declined, I would give the first signal again and point to the free kick spot, then give the second signal and decline it.

Thoughts from you other whitehats?
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

This is how it was said to do it in a referee magazine preseason guide. I posted it on the NF site and many other said their interpreters also said to do it this way.

1. signal the penalty
2. signal the team committing the foul
3. signal the the TD counts
4. point upfield by using an arching motion with the outstretched arm to indicate the delayed enforcement
5. the BJ would walk off the penalty and give the signal

Now if there was a foul on the try, I'd give the penalty they were declining first, show it being declined, and then give the one accepted and point upfield in the same way. I would have the BJ just give the signal of the penalty he walked off.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks a ton - I hadn't seen the preseason stuff from Referee - my bad. If that's what they say - that's what we'll do.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 01:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
Just looking for input. A scores a touchdown and B is flagged for a 5-yard facemask. A elects to have it enforced on the kickoff. You give the foul signal and point to the free kick spot - then go on with the PAT.

Now - B fouls on the successful PAT (15 yard facemask) and elects to have it enforced on the ensuing kickoff. So now you have to go back and decline the previous 5-yard facemask.
CANADIAN RULING:

We do not have a 5 yard facemask. Even incidentally FMs are 15 yards. Since FM is a UR, as many FMs as you want may be applied. A gets 30 yards on the KO. The U should take the ball to the original KO line, and "march off" 30 yards. The R should also signal FM twice - once at the original KO line and again at the "intermediary" KO line.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 01:56pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
CANADIAN RULING:

We do not have a 5 yard facemask. Even incidentally FMs are 15 yards. Since FM is a UR, as many FMs as you want may be applied. A gets 30 yards on the KO. The U should take the ball to the original KO line, and "march off" 30 yards. The R should also signal FM twice - once at the original KO line and again at the "intermediary" KO line.
Wow. The thought of K kicking off from R's 30 yard line. Makes an onside kick very inviting.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 02:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Wow. The thought of K kicking off from R's 30 yard line. Makes an onside kick very inviting.
Our KOs start on the K45 yard line and our field is 110 yards.

Two FMs on a KO yield:
  1. K45 to the R50
  2. R50 to the R35
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 09:52pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Our KOs start on the K45 yard line and our field is 110 yards.

Two FMs on a KO yield:
  1. K45 to the R50
  2. R50 to the R35
Still not a bad place for an onside kick.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
Suppose that there is a foul on the scoring play and a foul on the try- are both enforced on the kickoff?
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think there has been a national interpretation that the offended team will NOT get both penalties on the ensuing kickoff.

However, here in NC, our HS league has decided to deviate from this. If the scoring team elects to have the foul enforced on the kickoff, and then there is another foul during the successful try, then both will be enforced on the KO.