The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

OK, one of you NCAA guys!

In the Peach Bowl:

Play: On a pass that went beyond the neutral zone and is near the sideline, B1, jumps up and has the ball in his grasp while in the air beyond the sideline. Before he comes down, he tosses the ball forward to B2 who is inbounds and advances.

The officials ruled that it was a completed pass but B1 committed an illegal forward pass. They gave it to the defense but penalized them 5 yards from the point where B1 tossed it forward.

If this happened in high school, I don't see where B1 did anything wrong! It's not a catch until B comes down inbounds! Since it's not a catch there's no possession! Therefore, he can't throw an illegal pass. To me, it's like batting a forward pass!

Is NCAA different?
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Actually the words used were that Auburn defender #11 had possession. However, that really has no meaning.

This play type has been "kicked" about in another forum, the play has be on NCAA preseason tests, been beaten up in my NCAA football meetings two years ago with the only exception being the offense did the tossing.

Bottom line for NCAA this is considered to be legal batting of a forward pass, no penalty.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, I did not see that play and am not sure of NCAA rules.

According to your description I assume B1 was attempting to intercept the pass. Therefore, the ball is in team possession of A. By the strict interpretation of the rules B has not completed a catch has he has not come down inbounds or caused to go out of bounds by an opponent. Therefore, no catch.

But, you could loosely interpret B1's securing of possession to alter team possession as he had control. His subsequent act of throwing the ball forward is an illegal pass.

This is one of those situations where you can justify it either way. And, of course, one side is happy and the other not.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
But, you could loosely interpret B1's securing of possession to alter team possession as he had control. His subsequent act of throwing the ball forward is an illegal pass.
As Tom said, we have discussed this play at length on the MCGriff board since early last year. Someone contacted Mr. Adams and his response was that the play is legal. Until the receiver or defender touches the ground, there is no catch. Therefore, the Auburn defender simply batted a pass to his teammate. No foul.

BTW, the same interpretation exists for NF play as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
I have talked to someone in the game that night, and the thought is now that they kicked the call. There should not have been any penalty on the defense, since possession had not been legally obtained when the ball went from B1 to B2.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

I truly believe you have to stay with the black and white of the rules on this one. No catch until he has possession upon landing in the field of play. The officials booted this one.