The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Does anyone know if it is legal when the opposing team is attempting a field goal and it is kicked- can the defense have a man at the goal-post to try to bat the kick down? Is that legal? Please e-mail me at [email protected] I have been wondering about this a long time!!! looking forward to an answer!!!!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I guess you're talking about someone trying to jump up and bat the ball away before it crosses the crossbar. There's no NCAA rule against that (see 9-4-1b).

The interesting thing in this scenario is that if the Team B player who is positioned in the endzone jumps up and blocks the kick, he must then recover it. If it remains in the endzone and Team A recovers it then its a touchdown for Team A. This may be the reason team's don't position a player in the endzone to try and block a field goal attempt. That, plus the fact that the crossbar is 10 feet off the ground (height of a basketball goal) and there are very few players who can jump high enough to block a ball that's higher than that, much less while they are wearing football pads!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I disagree. NCAA rules state that anyone eligible to touch a pass can bat it, but no other loose ball may be batted forward in the field of play or in any direction in the endzone. If a player were to bat the kick to prevent it from going over the goal post he would be batting in the endzone there fore illegal (a kick in the air is a loose ball). If the player could catch the ball then it would be legal since he is simply catching a scrimmage kick.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, we'd better check the rule book (again, I'm talking NCAA).

9-4-1b reads:
"Any player may block a scrimmage kick in the field of play or the endzone."

This would seem to allow the situation described earlier. However, the definition of "blocking a scrimmage kick" is as follows:

2-10-5
"Blocking a scrimmage kick is touching the ball by an opponent of the kicking team in an attempt to prevent the ball from advancing beyond the neutral zone (Rule 6-3-1-b)."

And, just for reference, 6-3-1-b:
"The blocking of a scrimmage kick by an opponent of the kicking team who is no more than three yards beyond the neutral zone is considered to have occurred within or behind that zone (Rule 2-10-5)."

Put all this together and it appears that my first statement was incorrect. Team B is allowed to "block" a scrimmage kick attempt while in the endzone, but "blocking a scrimmage kick" is an attempt to keep it from advancing beyond the neutral zone. The 6-3-1 reference gives us a situation where the Team B player could actually be standing in his endzone and be "blocking" a kick. Since a player standing at the goal post and jumping up to try and prevent the ball from crossing the crossbar is definitely not trying to prevent the ball from crossing the neutral zone, he is by definition "batting" a loose ball. Approved Ruling 9-4-1-I actually describes this situation exactly:

"Team A attempts a field goal from Team B’s 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes out of bounds in the end zone. RULING: Foul, safety."

ddhawk, you are correct!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

NF Rules - Touchback

As soon as the ball breaks the plane of the opponent's goal it is a dead ball, touchback.

If an 'R' player touches the kick in the field of play (not in the end zone), and the ball travels through the uprights, is it a Field goal?

If a 'K' player touches the kick in the field of play (not in the end zone), and the ball travels through the uprights, is it a Field goal?
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

"(1)As soon as the ball breaks the plane of the opponent's goal it is a dead ball, touchback.

(2)If an 'R' player touches the kick in the field of play (not in the end zone), and the ball travels through the uprights, is it a Field goal?

(3)If a 'K' player touches the kick in the field of play (not in the end zone), and the ball travels through the uprights, is it a Field goal?"

(1)In FED, the ball is dead only for purposes of "R" advancing the ball out of the end zone. Use a little common sense. If the kick is dead as soon as it breaks the plane of the goal line, there can be no field goals or points after.

(2) Yes.

(3) No. First touching by K. R may take ball at point of FT.
6-2-5; 6-3-1-a.

Bob
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"(3)If a 'K' player touches the kick in the field of play (not in the end zone), and the ball travels through the uprights, is it a Field goal?"

(3) No. First touching by K. R may take ball at point of FT.
6-2-5; 6-3-1-a.

Bob
Unless the touching is in or behind the expanded neutral zone, in which case the touching is ignored.

K4's low place kick, a field goal attempt, strikes K66, who is blocking on the line of scrimmage, in the head and caroms through the goal ... 3 points! Now that's using your noggin!

Fed rules: See Casebook 4.2.2.I

[Edited by Middleman on Dec 12th, 2001 at 10:41 PM]
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"(2)If an 'R' player touches the kick in the field of play (not in the end zone), and the ball travels through the uprights, is it a Field goal?

(2) Yes.

Bob
I agree. By the way, even if R is in the end zone, a scoring attempt kick which caroms off R and through the uprights would be a successful attempt.

R may bat the kick away from the goal once it is beyond the neutral zone expanded, but the rules are silent on attempting to catch the kick. The touching of the kick in R's end zone causes the ball to become dead, unless the attempt is successful as above.

Fed rules: Casebook 6.3.1.C

[Edited by Middleman on Dec 12th, 2001 at 10:47 PM]
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trickdog83
Does anyone know if it is legal when the opposing team is attempting a field goal and it is kicked- can the defense have a man at the goal-post to try to bat the kick down? Is that legal? Please e-mail me at [email protected] I have been wondering about this a long time!!! looking forward to an answer!!!!
NF Fundamental 22 and Rule 4-2-2d EXCEPTION apply:

Fundamental 22 Any kick which is not a scoring attempt becomes dead when it breaks the plane of R's goal line.

When any legal free kick or scrimmage kick:...Which is a scoring attempt, while in flight touches a K player in R's end zone, or after breaking the plane of R's goal line has apparently failed.

EXCEPTION: If a scoring attempt kick touches an upright or crossbar or an R player in the end zone and caroms through the goal, the touching is ignored and the attempt is successful.

On any scoring attempt the ball remains alive after crossing the goal plane if it has not apparently failed. Only an R player can touch it in an attempt to block the scoring attempt.

If R is successful in blocking the attempt, the ball is dead, it becomes a touchback.