The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

hello
does anyone know why, in high school, if the kick off is into the end zone, it's not permitted to be run out?
automatically placed on the 20 yd line.
one would think, maybe, it is to protect players from long run back type injuries.
but, that doesn't quite make sense.
nor, could i come up with any explanation.
perhaps it's a rule in need of revision.
thanks

Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure when if at anytime the receiving team was allowed to run a kick out of the EZ (NFHS). But one thing for sure, in 1995 or 1996 the rule was changed just before the season started such that any non-scoring kick play was blown dead as soon as the ball broke the plain of the goal line.

I've been told that the rule was put in effect as a result of legal action due to a serious injury received by a team-R receiver who was clocked waiting to receive a kick (that he couldn't run out anyway) in his EZ.

I doubt that any change to this rule would be considered if that reason was factual.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Under NCAA rules, the a kick becomes dead by rule when it hits the ground in the endzone and is untouched beyond the line of scrimmage by Team B (the receiving team).

If a receiver catches or recovers the kick in his own endzone, he may choose to advance it or he can remain in the endzone and take a touchback. (Again, NCAA rules)
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Touchback

If you have been calling this sport for any length of time you have noticed that a lot of injuries come on a return play.

Blind-side blocks away from the play
Clipping
Blocking below the waist
face-masking

It is one of the more violent plays during the course of the game.

Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed that kick plays can be more dangerous, due mainly to the fact that there are more bodies moving at higher speeds than on other typical scrimmage plays. But all the things that "chiefgil" lists are illegal and are dangerous on any play.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

thanks all for the replies.
all interesting to ponder.
dunce that i am, however, i still don't get it.
at first, the injury prevention reason works.
but, the more you think about it, which was the purpose of the question
to get you to think about perhaps for the first time
what i think is an unnecessary, intrusive rule
it doesn't hold up.
thanks again
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

You must certainly be talking about the Federation rule, which apparently doesn't allow the receiving team to advance the ball out of the end zone. I can't speak to the reasoning behind that rule, other than it does prevent some tricky goal line scenarios and prevents the possiblity of a safety on a free kick, which could actually be the reason for it (why have the possiblity of a safety when the receiving team is supposed to be getting the ball back). Again, don't know for sure.

As far as injuries, I've been calling football for quite a while and I can't really say that I've seen more injuries occurr on kick plays than on any other type of play. Maybe it's true overall, but not in my personal experience.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Why would more injuries occur on a 101 yard runback than on a 99 yard runback? And, in FED, ALL kicks crossing the plane of the goal line are dead. No runbacks on kickoffs, punts, extra points or field goal tries.

Bob
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RickW
You must certainly be talking about the Federation rule, which apparently doesn't allow the receiving team to advance the ball out of the end zone. I can't speak to the reasoning behind that rule, other than it does prevent some tricky goal line scenarios and prevents the possiblity of a safety on a free kick, which could actually be the reason for it (why have the possiblity of a safety when the receiving team is supposed to be getting the ball back).
Hertz? Not exactly! (The Devil is in the details.)

The rule does not prevent R from advancing the ball out of the end zone, nor does it prevent the possibility of a safety during a free kick play. The Federation rule only makes any kick other than a successful scoring attempt dead when it breaks the plane of R's goal line.

If R catches or recovers a scrimmage or free kick on the field of play and then carries the ball into the end zone, it is no longer a kick and the ball remains live. R must advance the ball out of the end zone or it will be a safety when it becomes dead there in R's possession, unless the momentum rule applies. It could also turn into a touchdown for K if they recover a fumble in R's end zone.

If the covering official blows the ball dead believing it cannot be advanced, he has committed an inadvertent whistle. Since the Referee is usually covering the goal line, he should know better.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for the lesson in Fed rules. I think we've digressed beyond the original question about a kickoff, but it's interesting anyway since I don't know much about the Feb rules.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Kicks into end zone

I have delved deep into the realms of football history to come up with the only logical reasoning for kicks becoming a dead ball when it crosses the goal line (NF).

It's all about the Umpires. They have to chase the runner, yes chase, because they surely won't beat the runner, to the end zone.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Don't worry, the wing guys will pick up the slack and get to the goal line. The ol' ump won't have to signal TD from the 35!!
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

"have delved deep into the realms of football history to come up with the only logical reasoning for kicks becoming a dead ball when it crosses the goal line (NF).

It's all about the Umpires. They have to chase the runner, yes chase, because they surely won't beat the runner, to the end zone."

What kind of weird kick mechanics has the umpire chasing a runner to the end zone?

Bob
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
It's all about the Umpires. They have to chase the runner, yes chase, because they surely won't beat the runner, to the end zone."

What kind of weird kick mechanics has the umpire chasing a runner to the end zone?

Bob
[/B]
Under CCA mechanics, which are used in some states, including Texas, the Umpire sets up on kickoffs with the kicker
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

We use this mechanic in NC as well. U has the kicker, LJ has the kickers' line, LM has the receivers' line, BJ on the LJ's side at the 20 and the R on the LM's side at the 10.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith